1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is experience still an asset?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CarlSpackler, Mar 27, 2013.

1. TopSpin

TopSpin Member

Here's a Nov. 19 2012 piece by Ed Sherman with Malcolm Moran that effectively captures the shift in today’s market:

http://www.shermanreport.com/new-iu-national-sports-journalism-director-market-favorable-young-writers/

I’ve been lurking on this board for a while, but this thread describes a current 16-month journey from my last full-time gig. A VP of HR recently advised me to dummy down my resume as a strategy to get it by HR screeners and computer algorithms designed to calculate years of experience whenever applying through an online portal. It’s sad the job search process has come to that.

2. DK

DK Member

Experience is not valued in many, if any industries at all these days. You're better off dumbing down the resume if you want a promotion and more money. The stupid teenager you see at your local store who can't text and walk without running into a glass door will probably be out-earning you by 2016 and then complaining on Facebook or Twitter about how "hard" she has it in life while living in mommy's basement.

3. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

Sir, I will defend my honor against this character assassination! To the Merriam-Webster Dictionary!

Irony:

3 a (1) : incongruity between the actual result of a sequence of events and the normal or expected result

The expected result was that gaining experience would lead to landing the jobs I was applying for as a college grad, because that is what I was told by those very employers. The incongruity is that now people coming out of college are getting these very jobs and I find myself in the very boat in which I started, but for the opposite reason. From my perspective, that makes it ironic.

4. Irony Police

Irony Police New Member

Resisting arrest, motherfucker? Now you've up and done it. Your own ignorance to the logical reason for the shift that you actually explained does not make something ironic. You were right; the shift is because of the assumption that veterans would prefer more money (and more manageable hours). It's a logical shift in hiring on the basis that management makes a lot of half-fried decisions. You had it right. You were going up the wrong path. Now? Just another in the long line of sports journalists headed for three to five in Irony Prison. Get your ass in the car, bitch.

Enjoy the caddie shaft.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Experience is good on a micro scale. If your company uses Newsgate or CCI, for example, and you've been working on each since their inceptions, that's a good thing.

But on a macro scale, the "I have 29 years' experience in the newspaper business" line likely does more harm than good.

Draft saved Draft deleted