1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is experience still an asset?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CarlSpackler, Mar 27, 2013.

1. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

What kind of positions are you applying for? Prep reporting? College? Features? Copy editing?

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Experience has no value anymore. Neither does quality of work. That's not unique to the newspaper business.

Younger means cheaper and that's all that matters.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

They don't give a shit about experience. And yes, the rules have changed.

4. alex.riley21

alex.riley21 Member

My two cents - it seems to matter when you're applying for those "upper-level jobs."

What I mean is, I'm a writer, four years in the biz as a pro, and the guys I see getting the jobs I want (college/pro beats) all have a few years experience at another beat or they're rising stars out of a great internship program (my big mistake was apparently not doing a real internship and working a paying job instead).

Like I said, just my two cents.

5. Irony Police

Irony Police New Member

Son, we are here to teach about right and wrong as well as enforce the law. So here's what I'm going to teach you: That shit isn't ironic at all, dickhead. With all your experience, you would think someone with half a brain would have taught you how to use that word. I guess not, though, so here it goes: If you can logically explain an occurrence, it cannot be ironic.

We're going to let you pass on this one because we liked your movie. But get it right next time. OK, son?

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

That is literally the bomb.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

just make your point, and tell 'em to get fucked if they don't like it, alex.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

That's solid editing, Tom Petty.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

i bold with the best, V.

10. Hey Diaz!

Hey Diaz! Member

While it should be an asset, I don't think media companies value experience AT ALL these days.

And not to generalize, but paying your dues is a foreign concept to a good chunk of young writers today. I'd like to think most born after 1985, right or wrong, would rather keeping blogging or freelancing than work a day at the Podunk Press for $20K/year.

At the same time, it seems these people are astonishingly more advanced than even a decade ago. I mean, I got my first job in 2003 at a sub-10K hicktown daily after writing about a dozen published pieces combined (student paper/local weekly/summer stringing). Someone who took the same gig seven years later had internships at Newseum and a top 5 national television market.

The competition is incredible nowadays. Unless I was some prodigy (not even close), I would never have gotten a chance had I been born 10 years later, so maybe these hiring editors have a point ... or maybe they're being cheapskates because the company prez said so.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The last three hires our shop has made have all been quite experienced folks in their 30s or older.

12. Or the concept of paying your dues has become a much short window. Two or three years in the Internet world is a near-lifetime.

Draft saved Draft deleted