1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is everyone in the South obese?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Jun 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Have you flown at all in recent years? Cargo shorts were made for the airport. Boarding passes, an abundance of change, the usual array of wallet/keys/phone ... I don't always need cargo shorts, but flying is one time I can't live without them.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Sorry, just ridiculous. I'm not going to risk a heat stroke in order for somebody to think I'm following some unwritten rule.

I was at a memorial service last night where a few twentysomethings attended in cutoffs and backward baseball caps. That, I thought, was inappropriate.

Shorts for old men? Count me in.

3. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

They look like delightful people. I'm serious about that.

This chick? She loudly announced in a crowded media lounge that she net-stalked me and she didn't like my lefty politics. She also intimated that she would make it a point to make my life difficult if I ever wrote anything anywhere that offended her. So yeah, by the end of the season, I was sick, tired, isolated, and the only reason I stuck it out was I wanted so badly for people to see the team I saw that was getting so little respect in NHL bubble. I wanted them to understand and root for people like Barry Trotz, Kevin Kline, Jerrod Smithson, and Mitch Korn to go deep in the playoffs if not get a ring.

And no, I did not engage in homer journalism although I did parody it a few times.

Getting back to the South... It sucks. It sucks. It sucks. It sucks. And yes, people here are too effing fat.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Brian McCann's unwritten rules > < justgladtobehere's unwritten rules?

5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Big part of why I don't miss Nashville. May through September is pretty much hot as balls, with the occasional tornado or hell-sent thunderstorm to break the routine. Still love to visit, though.

6. CD Boogie

Was that joke funny back then?

Men who refuse to wear shorts or who have something against them are at the top of my list of put-upon putzes. Ya don't live before the Great War.

ChrisLong and JC like this.
  7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

In the mid-80s in Dan Jenkins's world - and in Playboy - it must have been.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

#greatbandnames

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I don't accept many of the excuses (eating habits, weather, etc) except this one. I would not be walking on two lane roads without shoulder.

10. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I also don't care if those people are disgusted by male feet when I'm running in my car to get gas or in a beach town. I'm wearing sandals in certain situations. That those people are thrown by feet makes them a weirdo in my mind.

Reminds me of a family Fourth of July party where one of my cousins acted disgusted at some of us wearing slips/sandals at a lake lot. Alcohol was involved.

Cousin: "Men's feet are gross."
    Other cousin: "So is your face and I've never asked you to wear a mask out in public. But don't think I haven't been tempted."

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  11. CD Boogie

same people who get in a tizzy when dudes wear hats in a restaurant. relax, ya hardoes.

12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

It's all about context but living in Cali, shorts are a must in the summer. It's just too hot. But if I'm going to a nice dinner or a classy function, I'm wearing pants. Otherwise, shorts are fine and comfortable and I'm giving up my comfort to appease someone who probably wants me off their lawn.

Draft saved Draft deleted