1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is everyone excited for the debut of Late Night W/Jimmy Fallon?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Mar 3, 2009.

1. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

I mean, like others have said, you have to give these people a chance. It takes a while to develop a following and style and own the set the way Conan eventually did, but it doesn't seem like he used SNL to do any of that. The thought occurred to me that if she wasn't already doing a successful show, Fallon's Weekend Update co-host could've made for an interesting Late Night host.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

That's fine... but someone who makes more than all the salaries on this site decided he was the best they could do.

incredible

3. Simon_Cowbell

To quote my daughter....

OMFG!

4. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I've got no problem with giving him a chance, I'm still a little upset that they boned Carson Daly though.

Daly, love him or hate him, is a better choice for this. He's already got the experience and with a decent writing staff could make for an interesting show. It would be no worse than what Kilborne did, that's for sure.

Oh, and speaking of, the reason I will hold out hope for this show: Stewart sucked ass on the Daily Show at first too.

The bigger question is.......Will Conan's debut at 11:30 be the "Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien" or "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, as performed by Conan O'Brien"?

There's a huge difference and I don't know if the powers that be will let him run amuck against Letterman the way he did in his old slot. I hope they do, I found Conan to be unbelievably hilarious at times, but I'm not so sure.

At least they decided to pay for Richter to come back. From his recent work (I.E. the Pepsi Super Bowl spots with Will Arnett), that gives me hope.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Seems like the same old SNL Fallon. Barely prepared, smirking at his own jokes and not nearly as funny to the rest of us as he is to Lorne Michaels.

6. schiezainc

Ok, just tuned in. He looks nervous as f***, seems like he wants to vomit, but looks a lot like Conan did before he got into a rhythm. I think he's got the look, he's certainly got the rapport with celebs. I think a year or two from now, he'll be OK. Or a colossal disaster.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Timberlake is like this generation's Alec Baldwin. Master entertainer who can even make Jimmy Fallon's show bearable for a few minutes.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

He's a douchebag, but yeah, he's pretty funny.

And Fallon looks incredibly relieved that someone is generating some laughs of the legitimate variety, not the "oh God this is awful" type.

9. schiezainc

Timberlake is a legend in the making. Mark it down. Anyone that can rise from the ashes of N'Sync and become respected the way he has in destined for great things.

Oh, and he somehow had sex with Brittany Spears without rotting away from the insides.

And I've only watched about four minutes of this show but so far it can be summed up like this "An hour-long series or awkward stuttering by a clearly nervous host who wants to puke".

10. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Timberlake should have been the lead guest. Bobby wouldn't have liked that much.

11. schiezainc

Ah, Tiny Fey to the rescue. What is this? SNL?

12. Simon_Cowbell

Fallon just waved bye to the television audience as they cut away.

Draft saved Draft deleted