1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Edgerrin James a Hall of Famer? Which current players make it to Canton?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

What about some of the recent retirees?

Ogden? Darren Woodson? Strahan? Will Shields?

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Jeff Saturday.
    Ty Law.
    Alan Faneca.
    Jason Taylor.

Coaches:

Bill Belichick.
    Tony Dungy.
    Marty Schottenheimer (really).
    Jeff Fisher (if he wins a Super Bowl).

GM/owner types:

Bill Polian.
    Robert Kraft.

3. joe king

joe king Active Member

I thought the minimum was four, max was six.

4. joe king

joe king Active Member

Saturday's a great call, but I doubt he'll ever get in.

Tremendous call, too, on Polian, by far the best in the business.

Belichick, yes. Dungy, Fisher and Schott, not so sure. Fisher's case would indeed be helped immensely by a ring.

Forgot Parcells.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Ogden was a monster. I agree with Mizzou on this one. He belongs right there with Orlando Pace and Walter Jones.

I'm not sure about Shields. Does he have a better case than somebody like Alan Faneca?

Strahan belongs, even if the single-season record-breaking sack was fraudulent. He wasn't just a great pass rusher. He was a strong run defender as well and one of the leaders on a Super Bowl championship team.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Cowher will get in before Schottenheimer even if he never coaches another game because he has a ring. I'm not sure if that's fair, but it is probably how things will go.

7. joe king

joe king Active Member

Agree on Strahan. Shields and Faneca might both be deserving. For awhile, that KC line featurinbg Shields and Roaf was the best in the league.

Darren Woodson is doubtful -- safeties have a hard time getting in. That said, Ed Reed better wind up in Canton or it's a fraud.

Hey, no one ever answered my question about Warner!

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I would think Strahan, Shields and Ogden are locks. Woodson would have to be close.

9. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

If Dawkins and Polamalu get in, Leroy Butler does as well. All-Decade safety with equivalent stats as Dawkins and SB win.

I can see Edge over Dillon but if Dillon goes, so does Fred Taylor but I don't think any of those three go. Hall of very Good.

Ogden is a first ballot entry.

10. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Two items to remember:

Guys on offense usually get in quicker than defensive players..sad but true

With that in mind, what about Rod Smith? 14th on catches, 19th on yards, returned kicks late into his career despite being a starter. Good blocker. Team leader. Two Super Bowl Rings. Led league in catches once. I'm not saying I woudl vote him, but he ranks better than some of the other receivers out there right now.

Also, I'm not a Broncos fan.

11. Mizzougrad96

Schottenheimer has to get in. I think he had success on every team he coached except Washington and nobody blames him for that one. He rebuilt several franchises. That's almost as impressive as playoff wins.

Cowher will get in. Dungy will get in. If Fisher gets a ring he's in. Shanahan is in. Holmgren is intriguing since he took two franchises from the cellar to the Super Bowl, but he only won once in three tries.

Obviously Belichick and Parcells are in.

12. Mizzougrad96

Rod Smith has two things working against him. I think people see him as more "consistent" rather than dominant.

He was also overshadowed for most of his career by Shannon Sharpe.

Draft saved Draft deleted