1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Edgerrin James a Hall of Famer? Which current players make it to Canton?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Jan 6, 2009.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That was kind of my point. The statistics for receivers have been thrown out of whack due to the changes in the game over the last 30 years, which makes it an extremely difficult position to judge.

You can also make pretty good case for Keenan McCardell using only statistics. He is currently 10th in NFL history in career receptions and 20th in receiving yardage. I don't think McCardell is headed for Canton without buying a ticket.

Don't get me wrong. Ward is a better player than McCardell ever was. But outside of maybe 2002 and '03, how often was Ward ever considered among the league's elite at his position?

To answer your question, I don't think Harrison belongs. Good player on some great teams. Maybe a decent comparison to Ward, though at a different position, since both were known for their physical play.

2. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

You're right about the receiving stats. McCardell's longtime teammate, Jimmy Smith, probably also belongs in a similar discussion. If there's one thing that separates Ward, however, it's his blocking and all-around play, which certainly goes beyond the stats. I think the voters might look favorably on that.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

QBs
    Manning
    Brady
    Favre

RBs
    LT

WRs
    Owens
    Moss
    Harrison

TE
    Gonzalez

OL
    Jones
    Hutchinson
    Ogden
    Allen
    Pace

Defensive
    Seau
    Bailey
    Reed
    Ray Lewis

Special teams
    Vinatieri

I don't know if Polamalu is there yet, but he's close. Seymour would be close. People need to remember how much harder it is to get into Canton than it is the HOFs of other sports.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

How did I get myself arguing against Hines Ward? The hell with it. Let's get him in there!

5. Mizzougrad96

Three receivers are locks (Moss, Owens, Harrison)

There are probably another 5-6 who are borderline. Considering how hard the committee is on receivers, I don't think any more than the three listed would get in right now. Torry Holt or Isaac Bruce would probably have the best shot of the others.

6. joe king

joe king Active Member

Agree on Dawkins.

The guy that intrigues me most on X's long list is Kurt Warner. The guy passes the test of being dominant for a short period, and with another couple seasons like this one, he'll pass the longevity/stats compiler test, even though he had something of a late start because of his arena/Europe travels.

My question to you: Is Warner in now? If not, how many more productive seasons does it take to get him in?

7. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Dawkins is definitely overlooked. He's led that defense on an All-Pro level for years.

8. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Tomlinson would be a lock, even if he never played another down.

Second in rushing TD, fourth in total TD, 14th in rushing yards ... that's a mighty impressive resume.

I agree with oop about Ward. Just a consistent, tough pro who got the most out of his abilities. His numbers, while excellent, aren't HOF-worthy anyway. And when was we ever considered the absolute best at his position?

Also, do T.O.'s antics hurt his Hall chances?

9. Mizzougrad96

No, but it might cost him first ballot. Given the grumpy fucks on that committee, they'll probably make him wait a year. It took Irvin three years? I would say Owens and Moss will go in on the second try.

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

How many have to get in every year? I know there's a minimum unlike baseball.

11. Mizzougrad96

Six, but the voting is set up so differently that it's never six new people. It's usually two new or relatively new guys, two guys who have been hanging around for awhile, one coach and one owner-type.

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Ok, so could James get in down the line as one of those guys whose been hanging around for a while? Might the same apply to Ward and others who aren't seen as sure-fire HOFers like the ones you've listed?

Draft saved Draft deleted