1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Dungy on the hot seat?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Freelance Hack, Dec 11, 2006.

1. silentbob

silentbob Member

Two points:

1) The Colts have lost 4 defensive starters since the start of the season. (Simon, Reagor, Doss and more or less, Sanders.) That would affect any NFL team.

2) I don't know what he does with the Colts, but Kravitz hammers the Pacers, particularly Larry Bird, an icon in the state. I dont see how anyone can call him toothless.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Well, whoever is making that perception is an idiot.

This is the NFL. You don't just "score at will" because a bunch of people think that's what you should be able to do. Just because the Colts can occasionally make people think that (think second half against Denver this year) doesn't make it so.

Even the "greatest show on turf" Rams won their Super Bowl in a 16-13 game, not a 46-43 game.

Defense wins in this league. Always has. Always will.

3. trounced

trounced Active Member

Since the first game of the 2004 season, the Colts have scored 1303 points (28.96 ppg). The Chargers have scored 1289 (28.64), a difference of only 14 points. If you take away defensive touchdowns, the Chargers offense has actually scored more points that the Colts over the last three seasons. Who would guess that?

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Then there's a lot of idiots, including the Colts front office, who built a completely one-dimensional team.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The salary cap forces it.

Once you pay a couple of superstars, your strength is going to be loaded to whatever side of the ball those superstars are on.

The key is being smart and/or lucky when you bring in players for the other side of the ball.

The Patriots wrote the book on finding bargain-priced players. They also got off-the-charts lucky in finding Tom Brady. The Colts haven't been particularly smart and have been pretty unlucky on defense.

6. Moondoggy

Moondoggy Member

If y'all don't mind, I'll wait a bit before passing judgment.

Pittsburgh, I recall, entered the playoffs last year only as a wild card and spent the playoffs on the road (including at Indy) but hoisted the trophy. Any team with Peyton Manning has a chance. There is time to fix the ravaged defense to make it competitive for the playoffs. Besides, outside of San Diego, who does anyone fear in the AFC?

Oh, and San Diego?

Two words: Marty Schottenheimer.

This thing's a long way from being decided.

Draft saved Draft deleted