1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Dungy on the hot seat?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Freelance Hack, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Or maybe they win it after they sign Tee Martin to replace Peyton Manning as the starting QB.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Correct. Kravitz wrote a column around the start of the season posing the question if Dungy was fire-able if this team didn't go all the way. And today he said Dungy has to get more involved with the defense. But Kravitz is the only voice of the sports section in a one-paper town with fawning TV and radio stations. So in other words, media heat isn't going to play a role here.

And no, I don't think he's on the hot seat either.

3. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

My high school football coach would always tell (minus the expletives) us this. I know this may be a captain obvious moment, but I'll say it anyways:

If you don't win the battle of the trenches, you will not win a State Championship Super Bowl. Period.

The Colts don't need a new coach, they need some players on that d-line.

4. DrRosenpenis

DrRosenpenis Member

No.
    End of story.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

:) :D ;D

6. aspiring

aspiring Member

I think the team atmosphere has to change for them to make it to the big game. I'm not exactly sure who I want to point the finger at, but the team seems to be too laid back, too complacent. Look what is happening in New Orleans after Payton did his house cleaning in the off season. I think Dungy stays. No one else gives the team the leadership needed at the coaching level to do any better.

7. KnuteRockne

KnuteRockne Member

Which in turn hangs Kravitz out to dry in that market. People are funny there. They'll rip to shreds Mike Davis or Gene Keady or any random college freshman, or even local high schoolers, but say a single critical word about "our" Colts or Pacers, and they go through the roof. Very protective of the pros, way more than the amateurs - almost like the culture is reversed there when it comes to this stuff.

Friend of mine in that area tell me how "Bob Kravitz always finds the negative." They just don't want to hear it when it comes to the local NFL and NBA teams. Bizarre, bizarre sports town.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

You sound like Mike Vanderjagt.

9. aspiring

aspiring Member

DAMN, Oz, now I have to change my user ID. Lol.. no, I really see a level of comlacency on the team. I think there needs to be a change. I just can't give you any names. It is too widespread, I think. Maybe Manning isn't the messiah the Colts were hoping for.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

That's funny. I said the same thing to someone last night. Predicting the NFL is all but impossible these days.

As for the Colts' defense, last year they were second in the league in scoring defense, sixth in sacks and tied for fourth in fewest rushing TDs allowed. Certainly good enough, with that offense, to win a title.

Before this season, Polian said that last year was the first time he believed he had the best team in the league. Before he had thought a championship was possible, but other teams were really better. Last year, he thought the Colts should have won it.

This year, I agree that fix No. 1 is a run-stopping DT to replace Simon. McFarland apparently isn't the answer.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

If the Colts totally collapse, he's in trouble.

Sometime during the flight of Mike Vanderjagt's awry field goal attempt against Pittsburgh last season, Colts fans crossed the Rubicon from unwavering faith and hope in the team to mild impatience and frustration.

That will turn to outright frustration and anger if the Colts collapse.

And for all of the legitimate hemming and hawing about the defense, how 'bout this allegedly high-powered offense? Since the Colts won at New England on Nov. 5, here are the Colts' point totals since ...

• 17 (against Buffalo at home)
    • 14 (at Dallas)
    • 45 (against Philly at home) -- 38 scored by the offense.
    • 17 (at Tennessee)
    • 17 (at Jacksonville)

What happened to the vaunted genius of Tom Moore, Peyton Manning, et al?

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I think the injury bug is the problem here. Bob Sanders was a big part of the D, and his inability to come back quickly from surgery has hindered them.

As for McFarland, Booger wasn't the answer in Tampa anymore, why would he be in Indy?

Draft saved Draft deleted