1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is DirecTV running a free preview for the sports tier?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dixiehack, Mar 31, 2008.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Somehow I'm getting all these channels I don't subscribe to on my setup, as of at least yesterday. And even better, somebody is forgetting to black out the NHL and MLB.

How long does my luck last? [/taking extra long lunch to catch stupid rain-delayed Reds opener]

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the Extra innings package is always free for the first couple of days of the season --- just enough to sucker you into paying to see the rest of the games.

3. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Generally, and this works at the beginning of the MLB and NHL seasons, it works like this ...

You get a free preview of the sport that is just beginning. And since many, if not most, cable companies share channels between the two sports, you end up getting both sports for free.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

They did it for NBA.

Enjoy it while it lasts.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I guarantee you they'd never do this with the NFL Ticket...

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That's safe to say. No one goes into an NFL season thinking "hmm, I don't know if I really care this year, lemme give it a week and see if it looks interesting..."

7. I think it's free for a week.

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Which means you should also get the remainder of the NHL regular season.

9. Yep, it definitely just the first week. They didn't have to sucker me in, though, cause it's the only way to watch my team. I tried MLB.tv last season and hated every minute of it.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I am getting the Extra Innings channels also, but this is the entire sports tier. If I want to watch ESPNU, Setanta, or Fox Sports Bumfuck, I can right now.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Extra Innings is free this week. There was a sports package preview Fri-Sun and nothing was blacked out.

Braves regional viewers: The Braves broadcast is on 617 (in Atlanta, it's on Peachtree TV, which is WPCH, which used to be the over-the-air version of WTBS) but I have no idea if you can get outside the ATL broadcast market. (I have Extra Innings. ;D )

@DH: No Setanta here. What's Fox Sports Bumfuck carrying tonight?

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Of course, you pay as much, if not more, for the NFL Ticket as for the full-season package of the other sports, and watch about 90% less.

Draft saved Draft deleted