1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is deadline writing no longer good enough for BASW?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I believe it was during Game Five of the 2004 ALCS that some writer made the immortal remark, "When they say no lead is safe in Fenway Park, they're not talking about baseball."

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

In the era of Glenn Stout and the Best American _____ Writing series, there's been very few one-night stories, period.

We had a pretty wide agreement that Dan Wetzel's aforementioned Tom Brady story deserved a spot. But I also understand the logic that features hold up better.

For the record, I don't get why these books even get published in an era when 90% of the stories are available for free online. I prefer link-heavy lists from Longform.org and the like. They also are much more timely. The year thing where the Best American _____ Series is all a year old is just a reminder of its inherent datedness.

3. Morris816

Morris816 Member

A piece written on deadline, be it a gamer, column or whatever else, will best hold up over time if one can go back and read it a year later and truly remember what made the event special or newsworthy. That's a tougher thing to do, when more often one will write a piece that is well worth reading the next day, but may not truly reflect how special the event was when read a year or two later.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

This is what I was getting at on the Posnanski thread and the idea that there's finally a longform site run by someone who doesn't actively loathe sportswriting. Sportswriting is 95% grunt deadline writing. Yes, most of it is rote and far from transcendent, and that's fine. Gamers need to be written and space (of the virtual or newsprint) variety needs to be filled and quickly forgotten, over and over and over again.

But there are gamers and deadline writing and column writing that rises above it all and is as good as anything else that is out there. Anyone who has read anything about the Kansas City Royals this month knows that. Those gamers and columns are so good b/c of the relationships and institutional knowledge built up by the drudgery of writing daily gamers, of being around enough to notice a little thing or have a meaningless little exchange in May that pays off in October. This is not a critique of longform, or longform writers, but unless someone is assigned to a team or a subject for an entire season (which does happen), those details are unlikely to be discovered.

But what are the odds a Jeff Passan, Andy McCullough or Sam Mellinger gamer/column ends up in the 2015 BASW? About as good as me waking up next to Kristen Bell tomorrow morning. There hasn't been a deadline piece in BASW in the last decade not b/c there have been no BASW-worthy deadline pieces, but because the series editor simply has no regard for the type of grunt sportswriting that generates magical deadline writing. The insomnia-curing longform he's curating at SB Nation is ample evidence of that.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

IMO, no, it says virtually nothing, because I'm not omniscient and memory is, IMO, a relatively poor judge of quality. There may have been on an annual basis many worthy submissions I've never read or wouldn't remember.

At any rate, if the editors believe deadline writing simply isn't good enough anymore, or the Internet has rendered it irrelevant, or deadline writing just doesn't sell, then so be it. The specific BASW selections are of no particular concern to me. What Bob said intrigued me, though.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Man, when T.J. drops the pose and writes as a plain old human being, he's fuckin' great.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I disagree. The pieces discussed here all focus on unique and aggressive post-game reportage. The key is setting your work apart from the masses.

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Yup.

10. AD

AD Active Member

back in '88, i went to fenway archives and combed through gammons' daily stuff from '78. it was insanely good. then i went back to '75. made me want to leave the business. purple? no question. but, then, nearly everything out of boston during a home team run is. that's part of what makes a boston run so wonderful -- and to opponents, so sickening. that populace -- unlike, say, miami -- actually BLEED purple for their teams. yes, it's insufferable. but gammons reflected that so perfectly -- and so did ryan at his best.

11. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

The best game story I've ever read I never actually read.
    At my first shop we had a writer at a state semifinal game. Score was like 77-58 or something ridiculous. We didn't have laptops, so as reporters we had to get quotes, hand write and call one of the other guys on the desk for dictation.
    On this night I was taking the call and every graf was amazing. I knew halfway in this was an award-winner and made for damn sure I was typing every word clean.
    Reporter ended up winning state awards and I think an APSE for it. Wish I had a link for it because to this day it's something I'll never forget.

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Speaking of deadliners, this is a great gamer from Ben Shpigel on last night's Pats/Jets game.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/17/sports/football/ny-jets-do-everything-but-win-the-game.html?_r=0

Draft saved Draft deleted