1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is covering a Super Bowl hazardous to your health or what?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by westcoastvol, Feb 4, 2008.

1. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Michael Wilbon: angioplasty

Len Pasquarelli: quintuple bypass surgery

Peter King: hospitalized with bronchitis

Bill Simmons: had a major case of being Bill Simmons. Proctologists rushed in from Boston

Am I missing anyone?

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It'll be hilarious to watch Simmons undergo a public colonoscopy over the next few days.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

after last year's supe, mike vaccaro had a heart-related procedure. and alan greenberg died of a fatal heart attack last spring, too, right?

not a healthy lifestyle. and, except for vac, the others are in the dangerous 50-something range.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

little noses and tiny little teeth
    platform shoes On nasty little feet

[​IMG]

5. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

I think Shockey has the real cause for the epidemic -- we old.

6. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

i've covered a bunch but only one as a beat writer

it is the hardest thing i've done in this biz

the copy load you're churning out is staggering -- more daily stuff than usual, tab stuff, etc. -- and on top of that it's a logistical nightmare just getting around town. you're not sleeping, you're eating out every day for a week, you're going from 7 a.m. until 2 a.m. every day if you're doing your job right. and the pressure to come up with something different when there's a thousand media looking over your shoulder is extreme.

and this is all after six straight months of working your ass off, from the first day of training camp through a few rounds of playoffs.

if you're out of shape, drink, smoke, whatever - yeah, it can be dangerous.

take care of yourself, people

life > work

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Did my first Super Bowl last year, and you're right, the workload is an eye-opener. I was working for my chain, and yes, I was cranking from morning until after midnight riding those God damn Miami shuttle buses back to a hotel with no free wireless.

The bitch of it is it starts right away ... you hit the ground sprinting. You have to maximize every damn stupid spoon-fed presser too, because that's all you get.

For me, the only day that remotely resembled down time was the Saturday before the Super Bowl, and that's only because most tab/preview stuff is already done.

Still I enjoyed it. But I'd enjoy it much less if I did it annually.

8. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

The unfortunate part is, if you don't live your work in this biz...they'll find someone else who will.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

A question for those who have covered a Super Bowl: Could you technically mail it in for the week? Aside from the dehumanizing cattle prod that is Media Day, could you just sit in a media room or wherever, waiting for transcripts of press conferences, and just write whatever is spoonfed to you without lifting a finger in effort?

I imagine the NFL would love that, of course. I also imagine that 98 pct of the people there have too much pride to do anything other than work like hell to find something decent out of the most chronicled event on the planet.

Just curious if someone could cover the Super Bowl on autopilot.

10. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Unfortunately, I bet it wouldn't be that difficult ... if you had absolutely no pride in your work.

11. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

BYH -- you could do that, but ... most papers that are spending the money to send somebody to the Super Bowl are looking for something better than the wire copy, especially with the current fiscal realities. You'd be making a real case for them not to send you back.
    The way I always look at it, I'm justifying my being there, through having an interesting angle, a local hook, something. We all use a few of the canned quotes here and there, but obviously, on the quote sheets, nobody's responding to YOUR questions, etc.

12. m2spts

m2spts Member

I've done a half dozen or so Super Bowls, a few more NCAA Final Fours, MLB, NHL, etc., but went in for a quad bypass when I had trouble walking from the press box to my car at a prep game in Northern California.
    Go figure.

Draft saved Draft deleted