1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Cheerleading a Sport? Let a Judge Decide.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CR19, Jun 22, 2010.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

photogs gotta love to cover that. lots of low angle stuff

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Interesting little note from the Quinnipac story:

Astonishingly and amazingly enough, competitive girls' gymnastics as a varsity sport in high schools has almost completely disappeared over the last 20 years or so, curiously almost in direct proportion to the rise of competitive cheerleading as a varsity sport.

The objective of competitive gymnastics: To undertake certain athletic activities against a theoretical standard of performance.

The object of cheerleading: To shake your booty and your boobies and show the big boys on the football and basketball teams that hot chicks really dig them.

3. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

We have a coach for whom every single photo of a cheerleader in motion was inappropriate.

So we quit covering the sport. Screw them and their weird little cult.

4. Starman

The battle against cheerleading as a "varsity sport," and thus to get their fingers into the athletic department budget, and take money away from volleyball, softball, gymnastics, girls basketball, girls soccer, girls swimming, etc etc etc, has already been lost.

The next battleground is ... wait for it...

dance team.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. CR19

CR19 Member

In case cheerleading is a sport, how the heck do you write about it?

"Suzy had a great day, dancing to the beat and jumping pretty high."

Is it just me, or is cheerleading a sport that is impossible to write about?

6. Starman

Oh, it's absolutely impossible to write about, unless every single sentence is "they tried really hard" "they had great energy" "they had great spirit," etc etc, which is exactly the kind of story the mothers/coaches want you to write about it.

7. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

I don't know anything about cheerleading, but couldn't you write about whether or not the people fell down, dropped someone, were synchronized, got good height when they tossed someone up in the air, and so forth? Seems like it would be writing about gymnastics.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The Quinnipac coach calls the competitive cheerleaders "elite gymnasts." That's BS. Any 8-year-old Level 7 or Level 8 gymnast could tumble the pants off any of the college cheerleaders.

It's a cheap Title IX dodge.

9. CR19

CR19 Member

You know. That's probably the only time I wouldn't mind seeing parents write the story themselves.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Since there are male cheerleaders on the squads, how does that affect Title IX?

11. CR19

CR19 Member

I think this exact case is an all-female squad, so that probably won't come into play right now. Interesting to see if that comes up, though.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I thought there had already been a ruling on this, some years back? To quality under Title IX, the "cheer" squad (or spirit team) had to be competitive only. It could not perform in "support of other teams at the university." In short, the cheerleaders at the basketball game couldn't go to some competition and count toward gender equity.

We had a family friend we lost touch with about 25 years ago. I become SE and one of the first e-mails I get is from here. She's grown up to be Cheerleading Mom Extraordinaire and she's all over me, excited that I'm now SE because she just knows cheerleading will get the coverage it deserves.

I never wrote back. We never covered cheerleading. I never heard from her again either.

Draft saved Draft deleted