1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Cheerleading a Sport? Let a Judge Decide.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CR19, Jun 22, 2010.

1. CR19

CR19 Member

Have you ever debated whether cheerleading is an actual sport? Why not ask a judge? A trial in Connecticut will answer that same question, as a college women's volleyball team is suing the school for dismantling their team for a cheerleading squad. The case will decide whether cheerleading contributes to Title IX requirements as a sport.

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/connecticut-trial-determine-cheerleading-sport/story?id=10972950

2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Don't get me started.

3. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I'm actually looking forward to this ruling.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I side with the majority of sports journalists here, but I'll say one thing--if massive injuries make something a sport, cheerleading goes right next to football and bull riding. Major cheerleading conventions and competitions come through my town all the time, and to walk through those hallways is to see a hospital ward with makeup.

5. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Pretty interesting look at the subject from "Penn & Teller: Bullshit!" last week.

6. The only problem I see with the issue is cheerleading - at least here anyway - it is the only high school "sport" that runs the entire year.
    The WVSSAC has a state cheer competition every year, which this year included a legal challenge, injunction and subsequent three-week delay, but girls are members of the cheerleading team the entire school year.
    There is no break.
    Unlike volleyball, basketball, or football, cheerleaders go from football season to basketball season followed by the state cheer competition... So that's about nine months. Double, almost triple the time other athletes put into a sport.
    I think you could almost argue cheerleading should equal two sports- given the season's longevity.

BTW: Cheerleading should be considered a sport for title IX purposes. But a sport -as in on the sports pages? - no.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

The answer to this question comes down to who is setting the criteria. This case would be really interesting if any sports writers are called to testify.

8. Would cheerleader moms be called as rebuttal witnesses?

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The Wisconsin Supreme Court ruled last year that not only is cheerleading is a sport, it's a contact sport, because there "is a significant amount of physical contact between cheerleaders." (Bow chicka bow wow.) The issue was whether a female cheerleader could sue the male spotter who dropped her, the school and the school's insurance company over her injuries. The Wisconsin Supreme Court said no, because there is a law in the state that grants immunity from lawsuit for unintentional injuries in contact sports, and cheerleading is a contact sport.

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

They're not objective. :D

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I can imagine that if the court rules cheerleading is a sport, all the newspapers in Connecticut will be innudated with calls from cheerleader parents claiming that the court ruling means the papers MUST cover their cheerleading competitions from now on.

12. Was there a cheerleader looking to sue the school and her spotter?
    Glad the courts knocked that out.

Draft saved Draft deleted