1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Canzano being unethical?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by statrat, Aug 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

And a poster identifying himself as CanzanoJohn has registered at Sportsjournalists.com. Definitely no need to lock this thread, in any event. Been an excellent discussion, with some excellent above-the-fray moderating from Mr. Friedman. For what it's worth, I personally have no issue with a journalist who feels like they should take advantage of a new opportunity to make a substantial amount of extra money, while also intending fully to hold dear to an ethical standard previously established. Can't fault anyone for being enticed by getting a little more financial security, especially as so many of us in this business will never know such security. It's not something I personally would seek, but that's my own preference. That being said . . . . . . readers will perceive it as a clear conflict of interest. And that's why I would avoid it. I've said before that readers have more access to our personal information and history than ever before, and they're not averse to using it when writing letters to the editor (or posts on Internet message boards, for that matter . . . I know I won't be f$#&ing with the Jesus, that's for sure). And accepting a paycheck from a radio station owned by the same person who owns the team that provides the city's entire sports identity . . . . just hands the bitter fanboys and couch critics easy ammunition against you and the outlets you serve. We need to respect the ability of readers and fans to hurt us through a simple google search. And when they point out their perceptions of our conflicts, we need to respond in ways that do not encourage them to find their news and views elsewhere..

2. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

I'm not coming on here and calling a real person a whore or anything else. I'm pointing out the lack of courage for someone else to do that from behind a mask.
    I might criticize the actions of someone with a "real" identity; I imagine that's come up once or twice in 3500 posts.
    I might justifiably call someone with a fake identity -- just for an example, let's say blondebomber or TP -- an idiot.
    But to call a real person this sort of name, with that sort of connotation? Not ever.
    No hypocrisy there.

3. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.