1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Bush worth lifetime protection?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Drip, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

I found this to be interesting. Nearly everyone knows that The United States Secret Service is in charge of protecting the sitting president and his family. But until 1997, all former presidents and their families were protected by the Secret Service until the president's death. The last president to have lifetime protection is Bill Clinton. President Bush and all presidents after him will be protected for a maximum of ten years after leaving office. In light of his unpopularity and an increase in terrorism and threats should the protection be for life?

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Even on a presidential pension, I'm pretty sure you can afford adequate security. Let them handle it themselves if they think they need it.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

They should ALL have lifetime protection.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

What he said.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

No martyrs, please.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I don't even know why this is a question.
    Lordy, did the Secret Service explain the decision?

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm ambivalent. I don't know that Jimmy Carter is a prime target for kidnappers or terrorists.

But I don't think it's too much to provide it if they want it.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

This shouldn't even be up for discussion. Whether you like any president or not, they should all have protection. And I actually am friends with a guy who works for the secret service. They said the Clinton's are douchebags, and when Bill left office, everyone had to be reassigned because nobody wanted to work with him.

Everyone can sit here and say Bush is an idiot-moron-retard and he hates black people and what not, but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be an awful guy to work with. Seems like a dude you could watch a ball game with. (Not that is what we need from a president or anything, I'm just saying, he reminds me of Gerald Ford from the Simpson's)

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Agreed. You might hate the man, his politics or both, but a former president deserves Secret Service protection as long as they want it.
    Same goes for a spouse. Did "Guarding Tess" teach us nothing?

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

I found it relevant because there are a lot of kooks out there anxious to make a name for themselves. I'm not a Bush backer but there's no question this guy is going to need protection for the rest of his natural life.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Toss us a link for this, Drip. I'm curious. And I also think it's ridiculous. We're not much of a country if we don't offer protection for our former presidents.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I can see where you are coming from. There has to be some liberal yuppie out there who goes bat shit crazy and tries to kill the guy. Probably in the same way some redneck conservative would try to take down Obama if he were President.

There are a lot of crazies out there.

Draft saved Draft deleted