1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Boeheim getting a pass?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

In light of Paterno's death, it seems that Jim Boeheim's legacy seems to be well intact after a similar, although distinguishable, scandal.

Why?

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

They've only lost once. :D

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Has Boeheim been tied to any of Fine's actions? Paterno was specifically told about an egregious incident, and then failed to act on it other than to bump it upstairs.

4. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

As of yet, they're haven't been any allegations that Boeheim knew of or saw anything. I think that's the major difference.

5. Dick Whitman

I think that's right.

But I also think that our answer to almost any excuse Paterno's camp has come up with about how things were out of their hands is, "Paterno runs the university. He knows everything that's going on."

Isn't there some healthy skepticism about what Boeheim knew and didn't know about his assistant's actions?

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Didn't one of the accusers just recently say he made it up? That case is very tenuous from all sides, to say the least, and the fact that the main accuser was an adult for much of the abuse adds another layer of mystery.

7. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Plus, is there the same amount of certainty regarding the allegations? At least one accuser has admitted to lying, correct?

Whoops, didn't see LTL's above post.

8. Dick Whitman

I guess I'll just say it instead of being passive-aggressive: Is Syracuse, the official alma mater of the East Coast media, a protected entity by a healthy percentage of the media that would otherwise aggressively pursue these types of stories?

9. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Not sure, but a lot of folks involved with the Conlin scandal might be.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Yes. I put up a link in the other Syracuse thread a week or so ago. The other difference is, Boeheim has never been hailed as the messiah of college basketball like Paterno was for football.

11. How about Jimmy B's blind defense of Fine? And the fact he called the accusers - at least one of them - a liar?

He came off a grade-a cockhole when it comes to smypathy for Fine's alleged victims.

But I blame JoePa.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

There have been four Boeheim accusers.

One of them now says he lied about the whole thing because he was mad at Fine for something else.

One of them maintains that he was abused but admits to lying and doctoring evidence such as emails to fortify his claims.

Boeheim was indelicate and has apologized. But he was also at least partially correct. And as has been stated about a million times, it is not the crime but the cover-up that got PSU in trouble.

These cases are so different, they shouldn't even be talked about together anymore.

Draft saved Draft deleted