1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Beck a Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Aug 10, 2012.

1. sportbook

sportbook Member

How can John Beck make the HOF if Cleo Lemon isn't in?

2. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Don't know if he's a Hall of Famer, and don't really like/appreciate his other stuff, but as mentioned, Sea Change - which is, from beginning to end, essentially a breakup album - is an all-time great record. There are four songs on there (It's all in your mind, Golden Age, Lost Cause, Guess I'm doing fine) that are just absolutely fantastic. And like Versatile said, he can seamlessly go from the scarf- and bellbottom-wearing weirdo into the heartfelt singer-songwriter. I just love this album in total.

Here's a clip, and you can just hear the emotion in his voice.

http://youtu.be/bp8BVO7z_38

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Absolutely a Hall of Fame act. At least in my book. Would be nice addition in Cleveland.

4. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Don't really like him but he's had a solid career. If he gets in Mikey Whipwreck should induct him.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Years ago I worked with a guy whose brother played a couple of exhibition games for the Rangers way back in the day. One night the guy's brother ends up in a scrum against the Flyers or Isles or whomever, getting punched, face washed etc. Beck skates over and everyone stops to look at him. He says, "Leave him alone" and they did.

6. jaydaum

jaydaum Member

Beck's a HOFer but I don't know if he goes in first ballot.
    [And as noted by others, he should get in on the merits of Sea Change alone.]

There's a real disconnect between his perception among casual music fans ["oh the 'loser' guy..."] and serious music fans ["he's a genius"] but I really admire how he can move in and out of such disparate musical styles as latin music [Guero] and electronica [The Information] and motown/60's Cali chill out [Modern Guilt] or acoustic [Sea Change].

What might hurt him is the knock that he was good at appropriating other musical styles but didn't really have one of his own... Beck is kinda like a hipster indie Lenny Kravitz that way.

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I wouldn't call Guero "Latin" music. There's one tropicalia song (Missing) and that's about it. Que Onda Guero has a Spanish chorus. But the album as a whole falls somewhere between Odelay and Modern Guilt, stylistically.

My answer to the question that started the thread is an emphatic YES.

8. jaydaum

jaydaum Member

You're right. "Latin music" was prolly a poor choice of words. Would you give me that on the whole, Beck is musically/lyrically/thematically trying to situate Guero in a specific subculture, the latino communities in Cali where he grew up? I guess it just kinda feels like a latin record...

I know a few people have touched on this a little, but how is Beck live?
    His music is VERY produced/engineered, how does it translate live??
    And if he is using performance enhancing dubs, does that keep him out of the Hall??

9. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

He should never get in before Rush (ducks).

10. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I posted this in the music thread, but then remembered we had a Beck thread. Here's Beck covering David Bowie's "Sound and Vision" with a 160+ piece orchestra and multiple choirs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=QnOmrDzRrGQ

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

This post and Versatile's post above reminded me that Beck is the modern Bowie in terms of changing genres frequently. I think he's a great talent.

12. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

He really is amazing, and isn't afraid to try just about anything. I've watched that video about 10 times in the past two days. It's so good.

Draft saved Draft deleted