1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is "athleticism" thinly veiled racism?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BillyT, Mar 7, 2011.

1. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

I don't see the word athleticism as bordering on racist at all. One of the few actually good things we as a society have done in the last 25 years, in my opinion, is break down stereotypes, notably in the sports field. We've seen and continue to see "smart" and "scrappy" kids of all ilks and "athletic" kids, too.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I can't think of a single black athlete I've ever heard described as scrappy, hard-working or a "gym rat."

I can't think of a white athlete I've heard described as possessing "God-given talent" or "raw athleticism."

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Maybe Joakim Noah?

4. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Ever hear of Kiki Vandeweghe? I recall TV interviews during which several of his African-American teammates gushed over his athletic ability.

"He plays like one of the brothers," they said with pride.

No one questioned the appropriate nature of those comments.

As for the other example, I'll give you Bob Sanders of the Colts/Bolts. When he was at Iowa Ferentz and others routinely talked about how his hard work, smarts, tenacity allowed him to overcome his lack of athleticism.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Yep

You can find the exceptions to the norm, but this pretty much holds true in the writing and talking about athletes.

6. As The Crow Flies

As The Crow Flies Active Member

Shane Battier

But you do have a point. It's kind of like how good white players are always compared to former good white players and the same can be said for comparisons of black players. Adam Morrison is the next Larry Bird, etc.

I think Idaho has a good point when he says that there can be a racial context to the discussion without it being overtly racist. Still, as writers, I think it's important we don't get lazy when making comparisons or discriptions and revert to the same tired stereotypes.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

From trailblazers.com a month ago:

"The ex-UCLA All-American, whose father had been a star with the New York Knicks in the 1940s-'50s and whose mother was a former Miss America, got to be a pure shooter the hard way: He earned it during countless hours as a gym rat, taking about 500 to 1,000 jump shots a day, year-round, since puberty."

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

No, but in general, athletes are considered -- shall we say -- not fixated on getting a perfect ACT score.

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Like other's have said, it kind of depends on where you are. I grew up in a rural area where 99 percent of the time our high school basketball and football games where a bunch of white kids vs. another bunch of white kids. People still used terms such as athleticism, scrappy, gym rat, God-given-talent. My junior year we had a decent basketball team and people talked about our athleticism because our starting lineup had the state high jump champion, state discus champion, a guy who qualified for the state meet in the long jump and two state medalists in middle distance races. We were all white and shorter than 6-2, but in the context of our area we were bubbling with athleticism.

There are definitely plenty of people that label athletes based on their skin color though.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's not necessarily racist, but it's a code word. People use because it's easy, because they don't know better, because they are trying to say something without saying it.

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Isms, in my opinion, are not good. A person should not believe in an ism; he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon: "I don't believe in Beatles; I just believe in me." A good point there. Of course, he was the Walrus. I could be the Walrus -- I'd still have to bum rides off of people.

Ace's first post has a section that says it all for me: If you say football player George Smith has great athleticism, what does that mean? If he's fast, quick, strong, whatever, describe that.

Exactly. There isn't necessarily a need to think of whether it's code for anyone (although I know it can be). Bottom line: It's taking the easy way out as a writer, as Ace points out in the post just above this one. Be descriptive. Be illustrative. Show. Athleticism is a dead word. Bring the description to life, and if a person gives you a quote with athleticsm in it, dig deeper. Get description. Get the person you're quoting to help you enable the reader to see it. If that doesn't happen, the person isn't a good quote. Be a better writer. And if you can't about the person in question, maybe he or she isn't all that "athletic" compared to most everybody else.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If you refer to a player as athletic, OK, fine. You are describing an individual. Could use better adjectives, but whatever.

When you describe a team as athletic, you are saying they are mostly black.

Draft saved Draft deleted