1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Anyone Watching The Iranian President?! Wow!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pete Incaviglia, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

King was an embarassment. I didn't say "Good question" until almost 40 minutes into the interview.

That translator was awful, too. You have to get someone easy to listen to.

2. yes, since coups (see iran, 1953) and whacking popularly elected officials, which ahmadinejad is, are smart moves. but i didn't think this was about politics.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Did ya see how they dissed Torre? What is he, Iranian? But seriously Larry, djew see the Jets game? Are they trying to lose?

4. KG

KG Active Member

Her voice cracked like a boy in puberty.

5. silent_h

silent_h Member

Goofy and mildly alarming, but I wouldn't put him in the dreaded H__ler class, or even up there with the truly batty Kim Jong-Il. This guy is far from a dictator. The clerics still run Iran. And it's not like he's wildly popular back home, anyway. He -- seriously! -- may get voted out of office in the near future.

Iran is another one of these places where our deeply held American desire to either: a) completely ignore the rest of the world (the preferred choice); b) view the rest of the world in strictly Manichean friend-or-foe binaries produces a potentially blundering mix of ignorance and assumed moral clarity, wherein our successful policies tend to bubble up by sheer accident.

No matter who wins the upcoming election, I really hope we get statesmen who are cynical and conniving and deft and cunning toward other nations, and not toward our own electorate. We could use a foreign policy that is less motivated by academic ideology and more motivated by real world power considerations.

Draft saved Draft deleted