1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is anyone going to watch the Longhorn Network?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Interesting story out of Fort Worth. It goes live on Friday, but so far no major cable system has picked it up.

http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/08/20/3303053/eager-receivers-for-longhorn-network.html

2. Charter is historically, notoriously slow to add programming. I dropped them like a stone 15 years ago when they said they had no plans to add ESPN2 to basic cable. Plus you could count on the cable going out in the least little rainstorm. I think a couple times it went out when I watered the lawn.

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

No.

I don't believe I'll watch Bevo and Mack battle it out for the right to play in the Music City Bowl.

or their basketball team consistently shit down their burnt orange trousers come tournament time.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

When is the football game they get this year? Stations will add it two days before then.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The season-opener against Rice is supposed to be on LHN, and perhaps a November game.

6. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

As big as college athletics is in the aggregate, the market for 24/7 programming on any one team is completely niche. Particularly when you consider that the coverage will be all puff and nothing realistic.

7. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

If you read the ESPN book, there was more talk about how good the company is at distribution deals than there was of any sexual hijinks, so I assume it'll get done.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah, no way a college fan base would want all-positive, all-the-time cheerleading. There is no market for that whatsoever.

9. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I'll watch it for the high school games.

10. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

The Big 10 Network is boring at times but the historical/flashback programs that chronicle the league's existence are awesome to watch, for me anyway. Also, there is always an conference indoor track meet or a volleyball game or a golf match that can be aired, with minimal overhead necessary by the network.
    The thread asks, who will watch the Longhorn Network? I think the numbers will be determined by the actual amount of Big 12-wide coverage they wind up including.
    They wanna stop short of promoting other schools, but they also have to find a niche.
    James Street vs. Arkansas and James Brown vs. Nebraska can only carry you so far ...

Draft saved Draft deleted