1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is anybody else watching CNN.com Pipeline?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Armchair_QB, Sep 11, 2006.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Tom Brokaw knew because Tom Brokaw is a former member of the CIA. Oops, said too much.

2. Excuse me?
    Is this alley being alley or is something up here?
    I always heard that Woodward was a spook, but Tom Brokaw?
    The world's most boring spy.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Sarcasm font needed, I guess, although I shouldn't be surprised it caught F_B off guard.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I remember hearing that as well, though I can't recall if it was on CNN.

5. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

It's incredible all the wrong news that got out there in the early going. A missile attack? A small Cessna plane? An internal explosion? I'd forgotten how far off some of the early reports turned out to be.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Anybody else find it odd that CNN has so many gaps in its tape from that day? Seems like every hour or so they have to break because they don't have footage.

7. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Commercials not worth repeating, maybe? That was what I assumed. CNN is, after all, a commercial station, even during a tragedy.

8. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

You can also watch on CNN the first 1:40 or so of coverage that day, from the time they first cut to the skyline shot of the first tower burning and an interview with a CNN VP who witnessed it.

I know some people on this board felt they shouldn't show it again, but this is remarkable.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

They didn't take commercial breaks that day.

10. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

A lot of people mentioned things I thought of today watching the MSNBC coverage.

A. How no one could figure out the first tower collapsed.
    B. How Katie Couric sounded like she had just no feeling of what was going on.
    C. When they showed the first tower right before it fell, you could see where segments of it were already bowing inward moments before the collapse. I guess the government did that too (note sarcasm).
    D. And it really was amazing all of the stuff that got reported (car bombs in Washington, etc.) that wasn't true.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I watched all of the MSNBC coverage too -- and rewound a few times on TiVo -- and Couric was out of her league "covering" this thing. And, yes, the rumors were amazing. A "bomb" at the Pentagon. Then the rumors after that just fueled pandamonium.

12. markvid

markvid Guest

I think MSNBC was in the same boat, some footage they couldn't show today due to copyright issues.

Draft saved Draft deleted