1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is anybody else really down about the election, Olympics... everything?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lugnuts, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I don't think I have. Depressed about politics and the Olympics and such. Yeah, and so what? That's the world we live in. Depressed about those things and feel the need to cry about it?

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I'd settle for Henry Kissinger, for openers.

3. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

There's a lot of truth in that link, I think.

4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Yeah, I do. I care about other people.

And sometimes I do cry about it. What's your point?

5. You're about half right. Never said this place is perfect. But if perfection is what you seek, there are plenty of other places to find it (but you still won't).

6. The implication that "happy" people don't care about others is a bit much.

7. Terence Mann

Terence Mann Member

Sorry, took the bold-faced part literally. Now I know you meant "Life in America." I thought you meant life is better than the alternative.

You can't know that for sure was my point. And that's not meant to add to any "doom and gloom" feeling. Just, none of us knows. Yet.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Enjoyed this. The other day in NYC I gave a dirty, smelly god-forsaken bum on the street a $20 bill. I'm not Mr. Moneybags by any stretch. Was that $20 going to make this shit-smelling bum get off the street and start doing something better with his life? Probably not. Probably went to another bottle of whiskey or two and a few pieces of cheese, maybe even crack. Who the hell knows.

The boo-hoo'ers cry about politics and the Olympics and the state of our country and this and that and the other.

What is it you exactly want?

And when you're done answering that, how do you want those things to be achieved?

Either do something to make the change you want or stop whining.

I have no idea, Luggy, if I've strayed off point again, but peoples' boo-hoo'ing, like art, is open to interpretation, hence my responses.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I think of it as blissful ignorance.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Luggy you must be spending too much time watching Keith Olberman tell us what's wrong with the country.

11. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

That's an admirable quality. But sometimes that kind of sympathy can border on "worrying about something I can't control," which is rarely healthy.

I think it's sad there are children in Africa with no shoes, but aside from sending Sally Struthers a couple bucks, there isn't a whole lot I can do about it. I try not to let it ruin my day.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

To live in a place that doesn't use my tax money to kill thousands upon thousands of innocent people to advance the business interests of the oil industry.

Draft saved Draft deleted