1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is anybody else really down about the election, Olympics... everything?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lugnuts, Aug 5, 2008.

1. That's not what I said, but whatever ...

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm sure this discussion can continue without profanity and over-snark.

I love America, by golly. And I cover ballgames for a living. But I'm very concerned about infrastructure and social services.

3. nibs price

nibs price Member

Life is hard, always has been, always will be. Occasional depression or whatever you want to call it is a luxury of our modern world. The best we can do is to each help as many others as possible to have a better life, even in the smallest way.

Start from a personal-circle level and work your way out as far as you can, just try and help someone new as often as possible. You won't solve all their problems or make life a magical luxury cruise, but you might be surprised how much better YOUR life becomes through helping others on a consistent basis.

The big picture is almost always daunting and depressing, but you CAN have an impact on the little picture all over the place, if you try.

4. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Oh. I guess I misread when you wrote:

5. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Other countries have national pride.
    We have so many who are self-loathing. That's the "depressing" thing.
    But me? I'm going to wear my USA soccer shirts as often as possible as I enjoy the Olympics. Soccer, hoops, track and however much gymnastics the wife makes me watch. Cannot wait.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

One experience, living in Jamaica for 6 months: Helluva lot better here, by infinity.

Haven't been to a lot of countries to make more comparisons.

Just saying that the boo-hoo'ism gets to be a bit much.

7. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Compared to what it once was?
    You mean segregation? Women treated as men's playthings, or worse? Or do you care to go all the way back to slavery?
    In the year 2008, a black man and a woman were two of the three leading candidates for the highest office of the land and perhaps the most powerful position in the world.
    And if you want to get down to things that are really important, you can sit in your American living room and watch just about any sporting event you can dream up -- often in high definition.
    Things used to be better? For whom?

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Songbird,

You have completely missed the point of this thread.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The tough part for me is knowing in my gut that three or four of the top people in our government should be spirited away to face trial in the Hague.

11. flopflipper

flopflipper Member

Why Conservatives Say They Are Happier Than Liberals

http://www.usnews.com/articles/news/politics/2008/05/05/why-conservatives-say-they-are-happier-than-liberals.html

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Get off the freeway one of these days. Take Sunset over to Coldwater Canyon up to Mulholland and check out the view. Go to the Getty Center. Drive down to the beach.

Seriously, Los Angeles has always looked like a graffitified, gang-infested dump. I grew up there in the 70s and 80s. If anything, it may look better now. And if you go to different parts of the city it's absolutely spectacular.

And while I understand your larger point, my larger point stands too. To quote a Jim Jarmusch film, "It is sad and beautiful world." There's always good, there's always bad. If you choose to focus on the bad all the time you're going to be miserable.

All depends on where you look.

Draft saved Draft deleted