1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is anybody else really down about the election, Olympics... everything?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lugnuts, Aug 5, 2008.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

From a global and national perspective, I'm concerned about our direction and the world we're leaving for our kids. But I also see an opportunity in November to seize back the country that's been taken from us in a way that will create a renewed sense of optimism.

Check back with me in mid-November. If McCain wins, then I'll consider getting depressed.

The Olympics? Don't really care. I'm sure I'll watch a few events between innings and I'll tune in a few key speeches from the conventions, as usual. But that will be the extent of it. I've got a busy and interesting job, kids who are looking forward to their annual trip up to the lake this month and, if I'm lucky, a few rounds of golf to sneak in for me.

So I'm not really available to save the republic this month. And if all hell breaks loose while I'm at the lake, we'll be close enough to the Canadian border with our passports.

2. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I've always been a news junkie (I'm not a journalist) but I've pretty much stopped watching the news. After the umpteenth morning of CNN stories on the mortgage crisis, political ugliness, healthcare nightmares, gas prices, airline problems and more, I couldn't take it anymore. It was making me too depressed and feeling negative about everything. So I just shut it off. I read the news headlines, so I'm not clueless, but I don't feel as down about life/the world as before. It's not a long-term solution, but I'll take it for now.

3. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

The cockroaches are just gross. I can’t understand that part.

However, I know what you are saying about the economy and such. But if you decide to just stay home and not do anything then you actually would be contributing to the slowing down of the economy.

Mind you, I’m not justifying the spending of money to go into debt or to stop saving. I’m only saying that travel, activities and dinners out help people keep their jobs.

I get that you have family that is concerned, but if you had seen some of the squalor that certain in-laws of mine are living in. You send money when you can and buy gifts when you can. But sitting at home and doing nothing improves nothing.

4. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Weird. I swing like a pendulum between Luggy's original post and Pastor's first post.

Some days, like yesterday, I was seriously contemplating the end of the world as we know it. Wondering what would happen to my daughter, how "survivors" would live, somewhere between Mad Max and biblical proportions.

Then, today, I read this and I'm like fuck it. I have a good life. I'm gonna live it out and be gone. Because I figured, like most have said, not enough people care and the rest are "bat-shit insane."

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

Or so THEY say.

6. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Eh ... I just realize there are a whole lot of people in the world who have it worse than me, or anyone else I know.

I'm a count-your-blessings kind of dude, and I know my worst day would be the best day in a lot of other people's lives.

As a wise man once said, "Half the world is up to its waist in water picking rice."

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Exactly, Some Guy.

Never understood the woe-is-me complainers.

Life may not be a peach a lot of the time, but it's better than the alternative.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

No more so than any other time.

And I despise the Olympics. Thankfully I won't have to pay much attention to it.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

This will be my first summer Olympics with a DVR, so I may watch more than I planned. Four hours of prime-time coverage with the DVR should break down to, what, about a 45-min time commitment?

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'm excited about the Olympics, but then they're among my favorite sporting events. Too bad NBC has them and will bore me with bad features as usual.

The election? Well, I've found I can't stand to watch television news anymore. Ugh.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

That was interesting the first time you posted it, an hour ago. :D

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Argh. I hate it when the thing crashes in mid-post!

Draft saved Draft deleted