1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is another civil war coming?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Versatile, Feb 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Wait ... I can't be a second Civil War re-enactor. Because Obama libruhls are going to take all our guuuuuuns away.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Agreed that class warfare and riots are more likely than any organized resistance and secession.

But, because I love to ponder these things...
    Any sort of secession movement would hinge on two states — California and Texas:
    • Both are probably ideologically far enough to one side (California to the left, Texas to the right) to avoid their own political infighting post-secession. Other states, like New York and Illinois, are dominated by one party or the other, but generally have an urban-rural split. Texas and California (moreso California) both seem to be on one page, politically. Their leaders might also be batshit crazy enough to try it if the opposing party happens to be in power on the federal level.
    • Both are border states, which is key. Kansas couldn't secede because it'd just be cut off from the rest of the world. Texas and California have access to water and a lax international border with Mexico. A place like Michigan would be too dependent on Canada, New Mexico or Arizona too dependent on Mexico. Texas and California are in just the right spot geographically to have an advantage.
    • Both have enough natural resources to fend for themselves, at least for a time. They would also have some economic leverage on the federal government. Cutting off access to some of California's technology, or Texas' oil, not to mention the tax money that comes from those states, would have an impact on the rest of the U.S.
    • Finally — and this might be the one thing that would trigger an actual Civil War — both states could have enough wealth and influence to convince their neighbors to join them. If Texas secedes alone, it can be blockaded and choked off. If Louisiana and Mississippi went along with Texas, they'd control most of the oil and access in the Gulf of Mexico, plus a large chunk of the Mississippi River. That would seriously hurt the U.S. economically and would certainly lead to another Civil War.
    If California, Oregon and Washington broke away, you're looking at the entire West Coast, all its resources and access to the Pacific and beyond. In a hostile situation, two-thirds of the U.S. would essentially be cut off from the world. The federal government surely wouldn't let that slide. Again, it would certainly lead to a second Civil War. Las Vegas and Phoenix cannot be the western frontier.

So, unless Texas or California gets it in their head to break away, I just don't see how it's feasible. Any other state is either too weak economically or can be isolated geographically. Only those two have every check mark in the right columns to have any chance at success ("success" being a relative term; this would be a complete disaster for everyone involved).

3. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

That would make a lot of people mad.

4. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Well, Marvel already did Civil War a few years ago, and I can't see them revisiting it again with everything else they have planned, especially with Ultron War coming up here pretty quick. Besides, with the success of the movies and how things are developing in the Avengers comics, I can't see them putting a rift down the superhero community other than the mutant issues they have now with Cyclops leading a rogue group of X-Men and Wolverine leading mutants that are trying to be more mainstream and cooperate with the Avengers. So, maybe a mutant civil war, but not a full-blown, Marvel-wide crossover like the last one.

Wait, not that Civil War?

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

So if there was a school yard pick with Texas and California as captains of opposing sides, which are the last two states picked?

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

You must work for CNHI.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I have believed since the mid 1990s that there would be a civil war in America. Several reasons. In recent years, that belief has sort of modified.

I DO believe certain states --- led by Texas with as many as 18 others possibly following --- would leave if things continue on the current pattern. Whether the remaining "United States" would try to hold them or welcome their departure is a big question, though. Just as many resent the current actions of the federal government, many consider that certain factions within the "Confederacy" are holding back the union and, thus, would almost be relieved to see them depart. In such case, an actual war could be avoided and perhaps even trade negotiations could be done to minimize the economic pain for both sides. (We could even break up the NCAA, but allow for cross-association contests, like European soccer leagues.)

I truly believe the cultural and philosophical differences between, say, New York and Texas, have become so great that a split may be welcomed by all parties involved. Each union would be free to make its own laws that more closely resemble the will of the citizenry, without interference from the other side.

It will be interesting to see what issue(s) become the tipping point. It might be guns, immigration, same-sex marriage or economic issues such as taxes.... or a combination of the above.

It will also be interesting to see how a new geo-political map fits, whether western states join the more politically conservative southern states in the "Confederacy" or remain as part of the union. And that would affect liberal-leaning west coast states, who might be cut off geographically from their union brethren in the midwest and east coast.

A possible breakdown.....

CONFEDERACY: Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, Tennessee, Kentucky.

Possible defectors (likely as a block): Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, South Dakota, North Dakota, Wyoming, Utah, New Mexico, Idaho, Montana.

On the fence: Colorado.

Likely to remain with union: California, Oregon, Washington, Alaska, Hawaii, Nevada.

The other states in the east and midwest would remain part of the United States.

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I'd have to think Ill-Annoy is one of them. Nobody wants to pick up all that debt and poor credit rating.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I have believed since the mid 1990s that there would be a civil war in America. Several reasons. In recent years, that belief has sort of modified.

I DO believe certain states --- led by Texas with as many as 18 others possibly following --- would leave if things continue on the current pattern. Whether the remaining "United States" would try to hold them or welcome their departure is a big question, though. Just as many resent the current actions of the federal government, many consider that certain factions within the "Confederacy" are holding back the union and, thus, would almost be relieved to see them depart. In such case, an actual war could be avoided and perhaps even trade negotiations could be done to minimize the economic pain for both sides. (We could even break up the NCAA, but allow for cross-association contests, like European soccer leagues.)

I truly believe the cultural and philosophical differences between, say, New York and Texas, have become so great that a split may be welcomed by all parties involved. Each union would be free to make its own laws that more closely resemble the will of the citizenry, without interference from the other side.

It will be interesting to see what issue(s) become the tipping point. It might be guns, immigration, same-sex marriage or economic issues such as taxes.... or a combination of the above.

It will also be interesting to see how a new geo-political map fits, whether western states join the more politically conservative southern states in the "Confederacy" or remain as part of the union. And that would affect liberal-leaning west coast states, who might be cut off geographically from their union brethren in the midwest and east coast.

A possible breakdown.....

CONFEDERACY: Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, Tennessee, Kentucky.

Possible defectors (likely as a block): Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, South Dakota, North Dakota, Wyoming, Utah, New Mexico, Idaho, Montana.

On the fence: Colorado.

Likely to remain with union: California, Oregon, Washington, Alaska, Hawaii, Nevada.

The other states in the east and midwest would remain part of the United States.

10. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

Everyone, or almost everyone, looks good in most shades of gray. I personally think blue is not nearly as universally flattering. I own very little dark blue clothing and have never bought a navy blazer or suit. Light and even medium blues are much more useful and versatile.

11. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

By the way, the idea that New Mexico, a state that is majority Hispanic, would join a nouveau confederacy is just asinine. Florida, similary, has so many Yankee transplants that it would never happen. They can't even vote Republican, much less secede. The same would likely hold true for VA, NC. I could go on and on but I'll stop at the most obvious mistakes.

By the way, did you know SJ spell-check doesn't know nouveau is a word?

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I have believed since the mid 1990s that an alien invasion would be coming to America. Several reasons. In recent years, that belief has been modified, as the tinfoil has settled on my head.

I DO believe that certain interplanetary societies -- led by Pluto with as many as 18 other alien societies possibly following -- would land spaceships in the United States if things continue on the current path. Whether the remaining "United States" (notice the quotation marks!!) would welcome our new alien overlords or foolishly fight their Vulcan mindmeld techniques is a big question, though. Just as many believe that aliens invaded the United States a long time, many consider that certain factions within the "Alien community" (quotation marks again!) have yet to have their true impact on our society, and real Americans would be relieved to see the Starship Enterprise appear across the horizon to end our tax and same-sex marriage nightmare. In such case, an actual alien war could be avoided, and perhaps even negotiations in which we trade tobacco, firearms and our gay citizens for the alien secret to immortality could be done to minimize the economic pain for both sides (We could even break up the NCAA, but make the basket higher for aliens who shoot for a higher percentage than humans, kind of like the stuff I've heard they do in the Special Olympics).

I truly believe the cultural and philosophical differences between say, Americans and Martians, have become so great that something has to be done. We will have to adopt Martian law at some point, to more closely resemble the will of the citizenry, without interference from Mork from Ork.

It will be interesting to see what issue(s) become the tipping point for a Amazonian Moon Women invasion. It might be Darth Vadar, HAL from 2001: A Space Odyssey, or the character Ricardo Montalban played on Star Trek. ... or a combination of the above.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.