1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is America's taste really this bad?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Twoback, Jul 31, 2006.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

As I was looking at this thread title again, I kind of chuckled. What a silly question, Twoback. Of course America's taste is really this bad. Look at the listing of shows on network TV on any given night and you'll answer your own question.

2. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Alley, there's bad and then there's incomprehensibly bad.
    I mean, let's pick out a hit TV show that would be considered "bad" by people of taste (which would include most of the people on this board). Say, CSI Miami.
    OK, so at some point, after you've seen this show a dozen times or so, it starts to get on your nerves at a pretty intolerable level. But if you were to only watch it once, you probably could get from beginning to end without wanting to shoot yourself. The men have some things to look at, the ladies have some things to look at, and there might be a fairly compelling mystery, if you're luck.
    But if you've seen Dead Man's Chest, you see there is nothing for the men to look at. Almost nothing for the women to look at (Orlando Bloom gets a lot of screen time, and most of the time he's not all mucked up), the movie is dimly lit, the story is virtually incomprehensible and what action there is, is as the level where so much is going on that you can't gain a rooting interest in anything.
    I, too, was bothered by the ending. It was the same cheat that Empire Strikes Back employed, which is why I always argue with those who claim it was the best movie in the Star Wars series. If you don't have to come up with a decent ending, you haven't made a great movie. But I digress. This movie would have sucked it if had ended as well The Godfather.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I guess I was directing my point more toward the whole reality TV crowd, and apparently it's a big freaking crowd. How anyone could consider that stuff in good taste is beyond me.

But a country that likes reality TV is a country that will like almost any dreck you throw out there.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I doubt even reality TV fans consider it in good taste -- merely entertaining.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Entertaining, good taste. Eh. If they're watching it, they're lending it credence.

6. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

I've never been one for heavily marketed, shoot-em-up action flicks dripping with special effects because all the bells and whistles in the world are used to cover up a weak story and mediocre (at best) acting. Romanesko linked a column from the Boston Globhe's TV critic explaining why he doesn't have some super-duper Hi-Def set, instead watching his 25-inch set he bought 10 years ago because of all the sight and sound tricks TV makers use to mask lame plotlines and such.

Yes, America's taste is bad. Go read a book instead.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Golden co - wrote a book with sj fav - Mike Lupica

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Boom,
    Title, please

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Wait Till Next Year- it was about a lost season in New York sports

Draft saved Draft deleted