1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is America Ready to Elect a Mixed Race President?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lugnuts, Jan 8, 2008.

?

Is America Ready?

1. Yes

53 vote(s)
    77.9%
  2. No

15 vote(s)
    22.1%
  1. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

[sheffield]He ain't all the way black[/sheffield]

2. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

One group of the KKK has already promised to do it. I'd like to think they'd never have a chance, but it likely won't be because of lack of effort.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'll look for it, but Dave Chappelle, like him or not, said pretty much the same thing. He said he wouldn't mind being the president, but not the first president because that guy will be killed immediately. He said the best insurance would be to have a Mexican vice president because one shot and the border will open up.

The same thing, so to speak, goes for a white president with a black vice president. I know he's telling it for the laughs, but there's quite a bit of it that makes complete sense to me. I just don't think, as a society, we're as open to change as we'd like to think. Someday, I hope, we'll get there. But I just don't see it now.

EDIT: Here's the Chappelle clip:
    (0:56).

4. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

First, Sportsy, you're off topic.

Second, you're riding your topic like oop humping away on all things Pittsburghian.

BUT...you may have a point. A Hillary/Huckaby choice would make me insane. Bush to Clinton to Bush to Clinton is what really turns me off, I claim; but there's no doubt that Hillary offends me viscerally.

We have a pretty good Governor of Washington, no trouble voting for her, but then that's not the presidency. So you may be onto something. If I could come up with one good current woman Presidential candidate, I would pooh-pooh you. But I can't.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I think it's a tough question simply because of the way we elect people in this country. Would Obama win a straight up popular vote with all eligible voters voting? I don't think so. But I think he can win the electoral college, especially if he continues to increase turnout the way he's been doing in the primaries. There might be an undercurrent of racism that still exists in this country -- and if you look at all the nooses that have popped up this year everywhere from Alabama to Maryland, you could certainly argue that's the case -- but will people go to the polls specifically to vote against Obama? I don't know that they will. And I think people will turn out to vote FOR him if he gets the nomination. A lot of conservatives like him because he's not really in favor of gay marriage, he goes to church, he's married to his first wife, he talks like a preacher, and a lot of Latino voters are upset with the GOP about immigration this year. If you get conservative independents, blacks and Latino voters to go your way, doesn't matter how badly Obama loses Texas, Tennesee, Mississippi, Wyoming, Georgia, Idaho and Alabama by. He's going to pick up the right states to win.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I had my doubts earlier this year and that, sadly, was why I was prepared to go with the scandal-vetted Hillary.

Now, I'm going to go for it and hope that my fellow Americans will look beyond just skin color. I have faith. As for those lurking, I do not think they number enough to sway the general election.

7. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

I think so. Six months ago, I would have said no. But seeing how well Obama is doing in lilly-white states made me change my mind. Plus, I live in a state that came damn close to making David Duke governor 16 years ago, and we just elected a 37-year-old Indian-American as governor. (And Bobby Jindal reminds me a lot of Barack Obama...a super-smart youngish guy, who is running an inclusive campaign based on changing the status quo)

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Politically, I am very far from Obama. But the fact that he is a black/mixed race is actually makeing me more predisposed to him for some odd reason. I'm all for the black guy getting elected. It's just about time. And it isn't just picking a random black guy. He's bright, and even though I think he is a politician to the core, with the same lack of scruples as all of his peers who make it to that level (his record with lobbyists worries me in particular), he is no different than any of the other candidates in that regard. I don't think he particularly stands for much, other than trying to say the right things that will get him elected, but even that is a positive. His message is a bunch of platitudes. But those platitudes are resonating with people because he is talking about hope. And given where our economy is headed and where our standing in the world is thanks to the Bush years, that can't be a bad thing. We could have used more hope in the late 70s, my earliest memories, when we were getting whammied with stagflation (high unemployment coupled with the improbable--high inflation) and a weak posture abroad. I get the feeling that we may be heading on a similar path sooner rather than later, and given that a president isn't going to be able to do much about it, at least we can get the guy who might be able to boost confidence a little.

I personally don't think there is much difference between most of the candidates from an ideological standpoint, and I am always amused by people who are so rabid about their political parties, because I see such little difference between the Republicans and Democrats. In the end, unless you get a total dud like Bush, you are going to get the same government from each of the parties. They both gravitate toward middle-of-the-road, give the people what is most expedient today types of decisions. People call it "centrist." I call it gutless, because very often it ends up with shortsighted decision making that doesn't consider future consequences. Either way, my guess is that the difference between a Mitt Romney, for example, and a Barrack Obama is not going to give us a drastically different country. So if that is the case, why not vote for the mixed-race guy? Guys like Obama were discriminated against for too long. Symbolically, this election could do a world of good in changing attitudes.

9. joe

joe Active Member

Obama got the SS detail earlier than any candidate ever has, earlier than the rest of them did. I think that speaks to the underbelly of American society.

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Your condescension is so cute.

11. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

The individuals and groups to whom you refer are more like a cancerous mole on the underbelly of American society. There just aren't enough of 'em to constitute an entire belly.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Well, technically speaking, Hillary had it long before Obama ever did. ;)

But I think I remember reading that they both got beefed-up protection right around the same time, and it was very early.

Draft saved Draft deleted