1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is America Ready to Elect a Mixed Race President?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lugnuts, Jan 8, 2008.

?

Is America Ready?

1. Yes

53 vote(s)
    77.9%
  2. No

15 vote(s)
    22.1%
  1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

are they ready for a mixed-gender one?

2. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

Well, as a Euromongrel, I'm not one of those able to speak from inside the box. But I would say yes.

If you break it down into age groups, the answers would vary. I know my kids are itching to vote for Obama. I'd happily vote for him myself, but I'll look closely at his credentials first.

Yes, ready. Probably more ready than either party is to nominate a Mixed Race Presidential Candidate. That will take some doing.

[Is America ready for a mixed marriage candidate like Kucinich? I'm in one of those myself.]

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Than any female one. There's a reason black men got the vote before any woman.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

good luck in your campaign!

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Not in my opinion. As of right now, I'll be voting for Obama. But I still think this country is a long way away from electing a president who doesn't fit into the rich, white male build, instead of the best candidate to at least begin to fix this country's problems.

And, tagging along to what DD said, I wouldn't be surprised if either Obama or Clinton were offed while in the White House -- if they got there. I wish I this weren't even a relevant the topic for a poll, but I have a feeling we'll be hearing this debate for quite some time.

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

That's not even close to being accurate

I'm two years too young.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Any female one.

For every positive male trait, if a female displays it many will turn it into a negative.

Tough = bitch

Passionate = shrill

Go-getter = power-mad

Compassionate = weak

There was a post earlier about how Hillary would "grind her heel into someone".

Does a male get that kind of description?

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

We've had THREE black senators since reconstruction. Three. How many women do you think have been elected since that time, sportschick? Thirty seven. We have 13 right now. I don't want to be combative, but the facts don't back your argument.

EDIT: Excuse me, I see your post was about women getting the right to vote, not getting votes. Apologies.

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

And Title IX was thrown into the Civil Rights Act to try to kill it. Yea, I think we're much more comfortable with race than with sex.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Mixed race? I live in the South, and I think the good old boys might be pissed. I also think that people are so apathetic towards politics that nothing would be done. The 60s were a long time ago.

As for women, Ann Curry on the Today show has the type of personality and trustworthiness to pull it off.

People just don't like Clinton. That is a very fatal flaw of hers.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Could not agree more. When I hear people talking about Obama as the next JFK, I cringe. Because I fear they're going to be right.

There's more than an element of truth to the old Eddie Murphy skit about how the first black president would never stop moving.

12. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I think so. Don't have anything concrete to back it up, but my gut says yes. If I were to vote today, he'd be my choice.

Draft saved Draft deleted