1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is America Ready to Elect a Mixed Race President?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lugnuts, Jan 8, 2008.

?

Is America Ready?

1. Yes

53 vote(s)
    77.9%
  2. No

15 vote(s)
    22.1%
  1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I like this one because you can have any ideology and feel either way.

Put aside your personal politics.

Put aside your feelings about Obama's stance on the issues.

Simple question. Straight up yes or no.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

3. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I'd sure hope it is.

4. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I think most of America is, but as always, those in the minority are often the loudest. My paper ran an OpEd about Obama and within 20 minutes of its posting on the website there were a dozen "Can't vote for him, he's a Muslim terrorist in disguise!" comments.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

No. No more than it is ready to elect a woman president.
    Because deep down, in places America won't talk about, it is still at the core a racist, sexist society -- even among women and minorities.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

If 3-4 swing states are willing to, that's all that matters.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I don't really want to come off as one of those white people who says "I have a lot of black friends" but... I have a lot of black friends. And ALL of them, especially before Iowa, said no way. No sir, no how. I was sort of shocked to hear it because I so want the country to be ready. I grew up in a small town in a red state and didn't know a single black person I until I went to college. But I live in a big city now, and every week, my wife and I have a group of friends over to our house to watch TV shows. One is a gay black man, one is an Indian woman, one is a black women, one is a half black, half Turkish woman. The wife and I are as white as Wonder Bread. They're some of our best friends in the world. I sort of wanted to believe that society was moving more in the direction of our Thursday night TV gatherings, so I've posed the question a few times over the course of the last year, and all of them said: Nope.

They're convinced that Obama, even if he gets elected, will be assasinated. These aren't tinfoil hat wearers either. They're journalists. Two Ivy Leaguers in the group. They say: No way will he win, and if he does, someone will take him out. And their terrified of what will happen next.

So sorry, Lugs, I can't give a straight up answer. The truth is, I don't know. But my black friends don't believe the country is ready. I want so badly for them to be wrong, not for Obama's sake, but for our country's sake.

8. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Definitely right about the vocal minority. There's a reason Obama has already afforded beefed up Secret Service detail.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Absolutely not.

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

More ready for a mixed-race one than a female one.

11. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

You're right, my reading comprehension is failing me apparently. I edited my post.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

More ready for a mixed-race one than this female one.

Draft saved Draft deleted