1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Albert Pujols a jerk?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pringle, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Jeff Pearlman says he is.

http://www.jeffpearlman.com/albert-pujols-and-the-treatment-of-people/#comments

FWIW, Pearlman goes to this well a lot. He clearly believes that players should interact with fans. He really, really, really doesn't like athletes who set themselves on a pedestal (he wrote the other day about how Jon Rauch didn't even look up when Jeff was trying to address him).

I have less of an issue with Pujols' behavior than Rauch's. My dad always marveled at how players ignored fans. He thought it was a sign of concentration, focus, and professionalism. He was/is a hard-working, blue-collar guy, and respected the idea of a guy at the office, concentrating on his craft. We'd go to autograph signings and such, and the players would be nice as could be. I think he felt that was where the fan interaction was supposed to take place, not the stadium. We were there to watch and support. They were there to work.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

3. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Google "Albert Pujols" and "contract" and you'll get an answer.

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Liked this column a lot. Pearlman reported accurately, we presume, on something that should have been the simplest, lowest-stress opportunity possible for Pujols to interact with fans. This wasn't between the white lines honing his craft or focusing on his skills or chasing the almighty W (and stats and $). It was specifically for Cardinal players to interact with their fans. And Pujols did the absolute least he possibly could do in that area, like your worst employee might do.

I agree with Pearlman: If you want $30M, you need to be the face and image and smile and personality of that franchise. You are a de facto partner and public good will is imperative in today's sports/entertainment marketplace.

Pujols is more interested in heeding his little trinkets contract and thus refusing to sign items other than the mandatory.

And if he's one of those squiggle scribblers, he's the latest reason I'm glad I did my autograph collecting back in the '70s, when these guys actually Wrote. Their. Names. (I can thumb through autographs from back then, after years without looking at them, and still read the names. Good luck with the illiterate crayon-scribbles of today's players.)

Now, my question is, is Jeff Pearlman a jerk for running that column -- a longish one -- in reverse type so that it is killer-hard to read? I had to paint it to make it stand out against that background. C'mon, show some consideration for the fans readers.

5. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Fair point. Obviously it was "Autograph Day."

Pearlman writes about this topic, though, even when it isn't autograph day. He definitely thinks players have a duty to embrace and interact with fans.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Pujols hasn't been the same since finding out that in this man's world, RBI don't mean anything.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

And it made the Bebe Jesu crine.

8. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I thought the same thing, but halfway through reading it, the white background finally loaded. Looks like it just takes forever to fully load the site.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

To be fair, in the 1970s, the memorabilia craze wasn't around, and the likelihood of people selling forgeries was small.

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Isn't it easier to forge a squiggle than an actual signature?

Who's to say that a blob of ink with a few curly-Q's isn't Joe Superstar's "autograph." A roomful of chimps with pens strapped to their hands can reproduce that crap.

Here's what I'm talkin' about: http://bit.ly/gj7Y5L

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

In Ball Four, we learned that many Mickey Mantle autographs were actually by clubhouse man Pete Previte.

12. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

What a fascinating signature Clemente had! I always have wished that I knew how to do handwriting analyst. It just fascinates me. Although I'm kind of afraid what mine would say about me...

Draft saved Draft deleted