1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Irvin at it again ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Irvin clearly should be fired for this comment.

It's stunning when you really think about all the A-holes that the "U" has turned out in the past 20 years.

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

What did you think about Limbaugh? Jimmy the Greek?

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Second door down the block. Look for chickens in the window. ;)

4. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

Gosh!

you people are so stupid and about as irrelevant as jason whitlock.

Micheal didn't coin the phrase - he expounded upon it. Besides, nobody talking about it, but you idiots on this board.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Sportsbruh, your efforts towards becoming troll of the year are outstanding.

The simple fact that Irvin expounded on it is indicative of the double-standard that he is held in in comparison with anyone else in the media. He gets away wh being an idiot, and even when Patrick calls him on it, he can say he was joking because he's Michael Irvin. In effect he's saying you shouldn't take anything outrageous he says literally, because he's only joking about it. The man is a fool, with a criminal past. Do you think anyone else with his rap-sheet - both literal and in the nonsense he spouts - would still have a job?

As far as Whitlock being insignificant, you have to be kidding. At some point, I'd like to be as significant as Whitlock, because the man hits the nail on the head repeatedly when it comes to issues like this.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

It appears we have two new Charmions on this board.

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I liked J_W's column, but was anybody else stopped by the unequivocated statement that John Elway was the greatest NFL player ever?

8. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

That, and two other comments in quotations on that page struck me...

"There is no higher authority on football than yours truly." AND

"The most unique, important and insightful voice in the world of sports."

I understand his schtick and enjoy his work most of the time, but geez...

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

When I read the "no higher authority" line, I giggled. Maybe that was the idea of having it in there.

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Actually, that schtick didn't really bother me at all. It's Jason being Jason.

And I don't want this to turn into a "who's best in NFL history" thread, really. But how many people argue that of all the players at all the positions, it's John Elway? Interesting, at the very least.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I saw quote also. JW has stated same on SportsJournalists.com and there have been some pretty good debates on topic.

I don't see it. If you pick a qb is greatest ever I think you have to look toward Joe Montana. I also lean towards Jim Brown, Lawrence Taylor and Jerry Rice being ahead of Elway.

Column itself has become a must read. Funny and informative on the NFL.

12. I'm don't think Irvin was being racist, and I think it's pretty obvious that he was joking. This incident is just representative of Irvin's entire career as an "analyst." He's an idiot who never says anything informative. Here we have some of Irvin at his best:

That clip basically sums up ESPN's NFL coverage. Boomer-"You know we've seen it all. We've seen the ad with the brothers. Zhwdduh." Irvin-"If he wins this game tonight, it says I have [changes his voice for idiotic accent] matoooooooored [matured]."

Draft saved Draft deleted