1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

IRS doesn't like Herbstreit burning down his house.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by franticscribe, Jul 24, 2009.

1. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

At the end of the day, having a fire department that has experience in an actual, burning building outweighs the tax implications.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I lost my decoder ring today.... what?

3. PopeDirkBenedict

Giving the fire department experience in battling a fire in a real home in a controlled setting is worth the tax benefits given to Herbstreit as a matter of public policy.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Seems like an excessive amount of money to be paid for one valuable training exercise for a local fire department, which probably has to save people from their burning home, what, once every two-three years?.

No "seems" about it, actually.

5. PopeDirkBenedict

And if you are the person whose house is burning and needs to be rescued, do you believe it is excessive?

The IRS should come out and make a uniform standard, "Giving your house to the local fire department to be torched for training is worth X, regardless of its value." But until they do, I would rather have the Herbstreit get too much of a credit instead of nothing.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Wow.

It doesn't happen enough to be worth $150,000 for one exercise.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It's similar to someone donating old clothes to a charity. You save on the cost of throwing them out in the trash and you get a tax deduction as well. Donating a house to the fire department is the same thing, albeit the price is a lot higher.

I'm OK with Herbstreit's deduction.

8. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I'm OK with it, but not for the full value. Just make it a set number to which everyone is entitled is they decide to donate their house in that way. Now if they truly give it away, like the actual house and the land, divesting themselves fully of the asset, then of course the full deduction is warranted.

9. Simon_Cowbell

You are "donating" something to save what will be a massive cost.

Spare me.

Not like other forms of donation in the least.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Yep.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Define "Massive Cost".

What one person's "Massive Cost" is another person's pennies. And vice versa.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

The point of the charitable deduction is to exempt someone from paying taxes on income/material goods that they allow someone else to benefit from at -- and this is the important part -- no material benefit to themselves. That's why you can't receive anything in return for a tax-deductible donation.

The Herbstreits incurred no loss here. They deprived themselves of nothing of value to them. They didn't want the house. If the deduction hadn't been there, they would have had the house torn down anyway. So there's no sacrifice being made there. And since they actually benefited from the deal, it's pretty difficult to justify a tax deduction.

Put another way, the assessed value of the house is $330,000. The value of the house to the Herbstreits is $0. Or, more accurately, -$20,000, once you factor in the costs of having it torn down.

Draft saved Draft deleted