1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Irritating phrases we'll hear the rest of college football's regular season

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ondeadline, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Got no real beef with that one either. I think some of you people are a little too easily irritated.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I don't have a huge problem with "in space" either, as long as it isn't overused. It's descriptive. Certain plays -- bubble screens, etc. -- are designed to get playmakers in space rather than in clogged running lanes. How else would you describe it?

3. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

"... the top-ranked Buckeyes''

4. JD Canon

JD Canon Guest

AGREED.

other people's words shouldn't hurt your soul. remember sticks and stones?

5. Jim Tom Pinch

Jim Tom Pinch Active Member

What would you use if needs to use interception twice in either the same paragraph or consecutive paragraphs. I don't writing it either, but I prefer it to repetitive language.

6. I'd use interception 50 paragraphs in a row before I'd use something like "pick." Would you call a home run a "dinger" or "tater?"

7. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

I would never refer to a INT return for a touchdown as a "pick six" in copy. It's loose enough -- and common enough now -- that I don't see a problem with it on TV, as long as it's not too often.

In copy? Never.

But I do use pick on second reference to an interception every now and then. It bugs me to write the same word over and over again in the same sentence/paragraph. So every now and then, I'll use pick. Just not often.

And Ike, I would never use "dinger" or "tater," but I've used "homered." Not sure of the difference.

8. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

"Lou, what's your expert opinion?"

"Thankth. Lemme jutht thay thith . . . "

9. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

____ (team) needs to shore up its _______ (defense/secondary/running defense...)

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

"A young freshman."

Compared to an old freshman?

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

"lose contain" or "break contain."

I know it's short-hand for containment, but I hate "contain" as a noun.

12. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

yeah, that's more TV speak. Don't like it. Shouldn't use it.

Draft saved Draft deleted