1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Irritating phrases we'll hear the rest of college football's regular season

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ondeadline, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

at the end of the day

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

That's not true, because a redshirt freshman is also a freshman, eligibility-wise. So if you say someone is a freshman, he can be either and it's not unusual for people to wonder, did he redshirt?

True freshmen makes it perfectly clear what his standing is, as does redshirt freshmen. I like absolute clarity.

Now, you could ask why this only applies to freshmen, as a sophomore who has redshirted is different from a "true" sophomore.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

"It was God's fault they lost that game - he clearly wanted the other team to have his glory a little bit more."

4. JD Canon

JD Canon Guest

it's more important to say true freshman than true soph because it's supposed to be impressive if someone is able to contribute in their first year in the program. if someone becomes the team's starting QB as a true freshman, it's a little different than becoming starting QB as a reshirt freshman. everyone else in the program other than a true freshman already has a year of college weight training, diet and practice under their belt.

True soph isn't important unless you are writing a story about leaving school early for the draft. redshirt sophs can go to the NFL. true sophs cannot (unless they spent a year at a prep school a la larry fitzgerald.)

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

True freshman often is a false designation nowadays, anyway, since kids can enroll in January.

To me, by the time you're near the end of your second semester, you ain't all that much of a freshman.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I've been guilty of using true before freshman but it really is needless. You use redshirt to designate has already taken his year on the sidelines.

I had a player say "on any given Wednesday" a few years back when those fucking Wednesday games were just starting. After I stopped laughing, I got that shit in my story.

"You know what they say. On any given Wednesday, anything can happen."

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

So you cover Oxford too?

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Any reference to polls, Heisman race, whatever, that includes "vote-getter(s)." Heard that on one of the networks the other day. Yuck.

Johnny Tailback would probably be the leading vote-getter if Heisman ballots were handed out today.

Johnny Tailback would probably lead the voting if Heisman ballots were handed out today.

9. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Got no problem with that one, either.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yes. Thank you. A favorite of sports radio hosts.

11. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I agree about "at the end of the day" and I'll add "moving forward." Most references to the latter add nothing other than two extra words. "What kind of success will this team have moving forward?" I rarely see this in newspaper copy, but hear it a lot from radio and TV announcers.

12. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

One I could definitely do without is "pick six" for an interception return for TD. Maybe it's not bad terminology to use, but I find it irritating as hell.

Draft saved Draft deleted