1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Irresponsible reporting in the Pitt coaching job?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by moonlight, Jan 11, 2011.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

A hypothetical? You mean like the time Herbstreit hypothetically reported that Miles was taking the Michigan job on the morning of LSU's championship game?

2. I didn't say he doesn't.

He gets a lot right. But because of the nature of his job, he also gets a lot wrong.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yep, the recent trend has been to lunge at rumors, especially on things like coaching searches and recruiting. I almost got caught up in it a few weeks back, but was very careful with the words I used since no one would talk on the record.

To me, that's the problem. I have no issue with reporting what someone says. But when no one returns your calls or declines comment, what do you have to go on? Basically rumors and speculation.

Frankly, I prefer not to put too much weight on those and wait to let things play out unless I have something solid to go on.

But, no, no need to "punish" a reporter because he guessed and got it wrong, unless he libeled someone in the process. Otherwise, just being wrong is punishment enough.

4. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

Never trust any local tv station's reporting on coaching searches. They're never both first and accurate - if it's a "scoop", it's generally wrong. Too many NDs willing to gamble in hopes of looking good by having an "exclusive", I guess.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Exactly. People still make Russ Grimm jokes regarding the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

And he's wrong a lot.
    And they never issue corrections.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

This guy wasn't a sportswriter. He was an electronic puke. Don't lump his type with us.

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Oh please, like the print types are sooooooo much more honorable than electric.

9. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I should have gone across the board and said sports journalists in general.

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

imho, print journos are held to a much higher standard in terms of 'taking a shot' at breaking news than the tv/radio guys are. print journos are encouraged to be right; electronic 'journos' are encouraged to throw whatever they hear against the wall and hope it sticks.

of course, schad is very good, as is schefter, mort, glazer, et al. but they also (understandably, i suppose) tweet and blog and all that nonsense 24/7 to cover their asses. when they're right, we're reminded ad nauseam. when they're wrong it's treated like it never happened.

none of this is particularly new. viewers and readers make up their own minds on who to believe and who to roll their eyes out. unless it's a libelous matter of some sort, do you really expect them or even lesser known local guys to be publicly spanked when they're wrong?

of course not. if it happens often enough they'll inevitably have to pay a price..

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

You have to report rumors these days. If you don't there's no reason for anyone to go the site or watch the show.

12. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

And that, little Johnny, is how the internet killed journalism.

Draft saved Draft deleted