1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Irresponsible reporting in the Pitt coaching job?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by moonlight, Jan 11, 2011.

1. moonlight

moonlight Member

I hope this hasn't been covered already ...

A reporter from a TV station in Pittsburgh went on the air last week saying Penn State assistant Tom Bradley would replace Mike Haywood at Pitt. He didn't name sources.

http://www.wtae.com/sports/26381620/detail.html

The day after, nearly every other TV station and the two newspapers reported that Bradley had only interviewed, but had not been offered the job.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/s_716876.html

Last night, Pitt announced Todd Graham is the new coach.

My question: Should the TV reporter be punished for this?

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I don't know about that. I do know this -- within 30 minutes of that Bradley story appearing, one of writers had a source call and say very emphatically DO NOT RUN THAT STORY. Never seemed to be very solid.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If news outlets can report that Rep. Giffords dies, someone getting punished over an inaccurate report over a head coaching job is the least of the media's worries.

4. Joe Schad would be fired three times a week if accuracy were the standard.

Sometimes you swing and miss. The more you swing, the more you miss.

5. His punishment is that he now appears less relevant to his viewers.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Don't you know TV and radio guys are allowed to be wrong, and never held accountable?

7. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

That's the world of sportswriting these days ... say whatever you want. Who cares? As long as "a source" told you.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Should he be punished for that? Did he clear it with a boss? Then, no.

9. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

I'd have no problem with the school revoking that station's credentials for a short period...say a two-week or one-month suspension.

It's not like the guy pronounced a player's name wrong...this was a major guffaw.

10. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Now this is a hypothetical, but is ESPN made the same mistake? Would Pitt revoke its credential? What if GameDay was going to that school? If you're going to impose sanctions on one outlet, you'd better make sure it's the same way across the board.

I think it'll blow over with no issues, because, like I said before, sportsjournalism is at an all-time low.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm sorry. This made me ... well, guffaw.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That's complete bullshit. If that was the case, he wouldn't have a job. Schad does very good work.

Draft saved Draft deleted