1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Irony, part MCMXLVII.VI: Phelps to picket Falwell's funeral

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, May 16, 2007.

1. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

I believe it was John Barth who summarized Christ's teaching in this way: 'We all have needs, and we all are loved.' Phelps and his followers don't understand either part of that statement. They are off the map.

Falwell, who was out on the margin himself, probably felt sorry for them. Idiots.

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Between this and the protesting at service members' funerals, these people are alienating themselves from people who might be somewhat sympathetic to their message.
    Not very smart.

3. But if you read up on them, they aren't out to convert anyone. They think virtually the whole world is bound for Hell. They consider themselves profits who are just telling everyone about God's coming wrath, and they believe there are only a handful of people left who can even be saved on the entire planet.
    It's just absolutely crazy.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

No, there isn't a soul these people don't hate. It's simply who they are, and they won't ever change.

And you're preaching to the choir here on the second part of your post. I've felt that way for years. Sadly, not enough people follow that sound advice and enable these lunatics to have a voice through other means than just protests.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Speaking of Phelps and choirs ...

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=720_1179383603

Don't know whether I should laugh out loud or be tremendously disturbed.

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I laughed out loud, I'll be honest.

Now that shit is hilarious -- when do we get to see that video on VH1 Classic?

Lunatics come in all shapes and sizes I suppose.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

They didn't, likely because they couldn't afford airfare and/or knew they'd be stoned to death.

But Phelps did issue a phamplet announcing "Mother Teresa in Hell" when she died.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Wow. Just wow. I've never laughed and held my hands over my face, horrified, all at once quite like that.

9. markvid

markvid Guest

I wonder if a lawsuit is in the making over that one.

10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

"You've crossed the line, you won't heed this final call
    Evil World you've come together as one
    See you're soldiers dying
    Oh, you claim God's blessing you
    That lie,
    The Greatest Lie of All.....

You can't go on, pretending day by day
    That the God, of judgement is dead and gone
    You are all a part of, the Devils Family
    And the truth
    You're all headed straight to hell.

(Chorus -- All together now)

God Hates the World
    And all her people
    You, every one face a fiery day
    for your proud sinning

It is too late to change his mind
    You lived out your vain lives.
    Storing up God's wrath, for all eternity....."

Well, you gotta hand it to them, they should at least get some points for creativity..... ;D

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Why on earth are we even acknowledging this? Every time someone makes a big deal about a Phelps protest, God kills a kitten they get the attention they want. It's like saying hey, this fire could get out of control if someone doesn't do something; quick, everyone grab a gasoline pump and start spraying!

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

CORRECTION: I am not one of the loudest voices on this board (much less anyplace else) against Falwell (although I did find him to be a frightened, bigoted, reactionary tool) and I at no time personally made mention of anything Falwell might have said about Phelps.

Thank you for erring.

Draft saved Draft deleted