1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ironic this happened in Dallas

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Feb 22, 2008.

1. markvid

markvid Guest

http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Top_News/2008/02/21/report_security_relaxed_at_obama_speech/8649/

Are they TRYING to get him killed?

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Crowd "seemed" friendly?

It was positively ebullient and bursting with goodwill 45 years ago.

3. markvid

markvid Guest

I realize he's not the nominee, but, for crying out loud, I get more security at an MLB game.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I wasn't there but from what I understand there was a near riot outside Reunion Arena because so many people wanted to get in. The fire marshal had to order security to stop letting people in because there was no more room.

5. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Scary story, indeed.
    And it was the fucking Feds that issued the stoppage.
    Stinks of conspiracy.
    Or just plain stinks. However you want to refer to it.
    Great "get" for the UPI, too.

6. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Um, I believe UPI's "get" was a rewrite of a Fort Worth Star-Telegram story.

7. Simon_Cowbell

An e-mail I got from a friend Feb. 20:

"It's like a tsunami building for Obama. [Another friend] is still a die-hard Hillary fan but he can
    see the momentum building for Barack. It is truly amazing! I am in Houston and had the
    chance to go to a rally last night at the Toyota Center downtown. I couldn't get there before
    6 and the line was wrapped completely around the center by early afternoon. People waited hours and hours
    just to get into the building so I went out to dinner and watched the whole 47-minute speech
    on CNN in my hotel room. They are reporting over 19,000 people attended and many were turned
    away. It is an amazing thing to see!

Over 43,000 people registered for those 100 seats that were made available for tomorrow
    night's debate. Sadly, I was not chosen so I will watch it from home tomorrow night.
    It was a long shot at best but I had to try.

You can never count out the Clintons but they have to be a bit worried."

8. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Yeah, friendly, great. So it would have been friendly fire that got him killed?

9. Simon_Cowbell

Reading disability?

10. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Appeared to beat the AP, anyway.
    But good catch.

11. Plus ca change, plus ca Jack Ruby, as they say in Amarillo.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The only thing more ironic would've been if it had rained on his wedding day.

Draft saved Draft deleted