1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Iron man 2

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, May 8, 2010.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

If you go and you're a super nerd, stay for the credits and then the bonus scene.

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Usually I'm a credit's watcher, but I skipped out on this one. The movie was Ok. Didn't think it was as good as the first one. Not wanting to be a spoiler, I'll stop there.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Haven't seen it yet, but I'm wary.

If it were any good, TigerVols would have posted about it two weeks ago.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

It was okay, but not special like the first one. To be fair, Ironman ranks as one of the besr superhero movies of all time. 2 is much better than say Spidey 3 or X3 or, for that matter, Catwoman.

Lots of good individual performances. Lots of really well-cast actors, but not much on a script, felt like two okay ideas stuck together to make one movie.

The bonus scene finds SHIELD in New Mexico and they've found Thor's hammer in a crater. Close up shot of it and then fade to black with thunder cracking.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Shit. We went to the movie tonight but didn't stay for the credits.

That is awesome though.

6. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Meh. Big disappointment.

Too much talking, not enough action, characters were underutilized.

Loved Scarlett Johansson, loved Rourke but the script failed here, again.

Oh well, at least I've got Thor, Captain America and The Avengers to look forward to.

6/10.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Well, that's a bit spoilerific. :)

Saw it with Mrs. OOP tonight. We both really enjoyed the first one. This one? Meh. I thought it was decent, but a disappointment. She didn't really like it at all.

I like the little joke about Cheadle taking over the role of Jim Rhodes in the hearing. Lots of good performances. It just got really slow at some points.

That last scene was kinda cool, but those credits are long, dammit. And it is a waste if you don't read the comics. Otherwise, you won't know what the heck Mjolnir is (not that they mention it by name).

8. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

It was kind of known that there was going to be a bonus scene. Once the SHIELD agent said he was going to New Mexico I knew why he was going but was hoping for a bit of tease/small scene with it. Bonus scene was good.

And for those crying about too much SHIELD/Nick Fury/Avengers, you can not have an Iron Man movie without at least some Avenger stuff. That's just how the comic is.

Anyone else notice at the end when Fury and Stark are in the safe house, you see a map with points and also some footage on one of the screens. Pretty damn sure that footage was of the Hulk from the Norton movie. Also the map had to have been showing where the likes of Thor, Hulk, Cap, and some others were located. Maybe Black Panther in Africa? I'll have to see it again.

For fans of the comic, you had to love all the shout outs.

The movie wasn't terrible but certainly missed that touch which made the first so enjoyable. Wasn't a big fan of the mess they made Whiplash. A bit of Backlash, Whiplash and Dynamo in one. Action scenes were good, War Machine was done pretty damn well - suit wise. Still would have loved to see Tony take a backseat due to his condition and Rhodes step in.

Hammer was very good as was Black Widow. Tho, would have been nice for her to have a Russian accident when she wasn't undercover.

All in all, it had the elements to be great, followed the comic but not quite a fast ball.

9. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

"Better than Catwoman." The soaring greatness to which every superhero movie aspires.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Tru dat.

Because unlike some people around here, I don't get my rocks off by criticizing everything.

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Come on, TigerVols. Dudes are gonna say what they think about a movie. It's harmless discussion of entertainment properties.

12. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Not a big comic fan, but really enjoyed the movie. Could have had a little more action, but liked the story and how it moved things along for the following films - the bonus shot of the Capt. America shield was a plus.
    My only dislike was the fight scene at the end with Rourke and RDJ because it was way too quick; I'm not big into the comic book, so I don't know Rourke's lifespan, but is it possible that he's in hiding somewhere?

Draft saved Draft deleted