1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Irish twins"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by OnTheRiver, Jul 26, 2009.

1. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I had never heard this term -- or at least, never heard it and thought much of it -- until I was working the table at Fall Ball signups yesterday, and this guy brought his two sons in. The lady working the table at me was making small talk with the boys, and asked them how old they were. One said "5." Then the other one said "5."

Her: "Ooooh, are you boys twins?"

The dad: "Nope. Just Irish twins."

Came home, ran it through Teh Googles. Laughed ass off.

I'm ashamed to admit I didn't know it, but it ranks with the day several years ago when I figured out "Chinese auction" was also a term I shouldn't use in print.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I have two second-cousins, who are brothers, that are 11 months apart in age. Has to be some sort of record ...

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

We had family friends with two sons who were in my older brother's class. They were 11 months apart.

They were Italian.

I've heard the term Irish Twins before, but they were the only ones I've ever met who fit the definition.

4. swenk

swenk Member

I have two 17 year olds. Ten and a half months apart. Plus one about to turn 15.

Not Irish, just crazy.

5. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Guess I know what you like to do...

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Ethel Kennedy just screamed "Get off me!" and she knows exactly why.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

My kids are SO close! Thirteen months apart to the day.

Mrs. Bubbler and I are only half-Irish though. Apparently, our Teutonic sides got in the way.

8. Unibomber

Unibomber Member

I guess it is science and stuff that makes this so prevelant. Apparently a woman is the most fertile shortly after giving birth. Hormones gone wild I guess.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

My mom and her sister are exactly one year apart. They share the same birthday, with my mom one year older.

10. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Good to have a term for it. I was born 3 weeks before my brother's first birthday.

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

My brother was born Feb. 28. The next year my sister was born Feb. 27.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

My mom and dad were smart enough to have us 4 years apart so they weren't paying for college for two at one time.

Draft saved Draft deleted