1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ireland trip advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Jan 17, 2011.

1. I'll also recommend Dingle and the surrounding area for a real taste of Ireland. If you get to Ballydavid then you'll be mixing with the relatives. Ring of Kerry is also recommended. I would't spent too much time at Blarney Castle (tourist trap and kissing the stone is actually kinda gross if you think about it). Try to stay at a bed and breakfast when possible.

2. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

This was our experience of Belfast, too, when we were there in 2005. We spent a couple days, and hired a guy with a black cab to give us a tour of some of the Catholic neighborhoods (he was Catholic). It seemed a little odd gawking at people's houses, but this guy was great and gave us a terrific history lesson The gable-end art was really interesting, and I'll bet that some of it -- except for the famous Bobby Sands house, at least -- has been defaced by now and repainted. Signing the "peace" wall was quite sobering.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

You should the British flag shirt that Joe Elliott did for Def Leppard in the 1980s and when you go into a pub, order a Miller Lite and then complain when they don't have it.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Or a Budweiser like my dumbass brother ordered in a pub in Glasgow a few years back. He said they had it because it was in a touristy area frequented by North Americans. I told him our old man, born and bred in Glasgow, would have turned in his grave. He said their beer was shit.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The most appalling beer-related issue I saw over there, off Great Victoria Street in Belfast and across the street from Crown Bar.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, I have people tell me I should drink Killian's Red because it's "authentic Irish beer." ::) ::)

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Go to Dublin and see the statue of Phil Lynott.

8. Have the Smithwick's over there and then have it here in the states and tell me its not two different beers altogether

9. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Same with the guiness too.

Our first night in a pub over there we walked in to the crowd singing. Not danny boy but nirvana. Weird.

10. BTW - crack over there means good times or a good laugh not crack cocaine. And whatever you do - don't complement a woman on her nice fanny pack.

11. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Less might be more in terms of the west coast, t_b_f. My wife and I had half a week in the west and confined ourselves to a fairly small area (Burren, Connemara, Aran Islands day trip, stayed in Doolin), and we certainly didn't run out of things to see. The primary allure, I think, is the landscape and the vistas you'll see while driving, moreso than particular sights or attractions. Rushing through such a vast portion of the country might be counterproductive, because it's such a serene place.

And, yes, the Guinness is 300 times better there.

12. Agreed on this pacing, particularly in the Dingle - which I would recommend.
    It's still that laid-back Ireland, with great shebeens (what they call local pubs), small restaurants and other elements of life, so rushing through it misses the whole point of the southwest

Draft saved Draft deleted