1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Iraqi sues over Abu Ghraib treatment

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, May 5, 2008.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Before you begin spouting crap like that, remember this one line...

Al-Janabi was released in July 2004 and wasn't charged with a crime, according to the lawsuit.

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Today I was in the presence of Commerce Secretary Carlos Gutierrez, who among other things decried Cuba for its (well earned) atrocious human rights record. He described political prisoners being put in jail for years on trumped up charges and used this as a justification for our continued embargos against the country. I almost jumped out of my seat when he offered to answer questions and asked him if he thought it was better to hold people prisoner for years on trumped up charges or on no charges at all, as the U.S. does. It was a smug question, and certain people in the room surely thought I was an asshole, but I felt satisfied. He said the situations were not analagous.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Did you press the issue for an explanation on how the two are NOT similar?

4. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

It wasn't a press conference, and I'm no longer a reporter. I knew he wasn't going to answer the question, but I was just glad to let him know I was on to him.

5. Can we please --PLEASE -- either stop doing this or stop pretending we're the United States Of America any more?
    Jesus Christ, ask the freaking military, please? And even if it did work, which it doesn't, it's still wrong.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

And this must be the what, 15th thread on this subject?

I think it's up there with "I Hate Wal-Mart" in Ten Most Repetitive Threads in SportsJournalists.com History

7. But the torture-implements section at Wal_mart is so comprehensive.

8. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

"Released" being the key word in that statement.
    Mr. Maupin would have setteld for "released," surely.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Made in China, no doubt.

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

That's torture?
    Holy crap, my idea of an awesome Saturday night, surely needs to be changed because I thought an electric shock to the genitals was kind of fun.

11. Yes, because we can't defeat the terrorists unless we abandon 200 years of Enlightenment values and become just like them.
    Jesus.

12. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

I'm not saying that.
    I'm saying there's a whole lot more outrage on this board about what happened at Abu Ghraib -- which was more a vat of stupidity than evil -- and not nearly enough about what became of Sgt. Maupin. Where is all your outrage over him?

Draft saved Draft deleted