1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Iraqi soldiers like this guy's style

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Love this story.
    Guy in Mississippi barricades himself in his house, and an hours-long standoff ensues. The cops can't contact him, so they shoot some tear gas into the home and rush it -- only to find he's not there. At some point he either slipped out of the house and into the nearby woods (his story) or hid in a crawlspace (the cops' story; it's a very big house).
    In any event, while the manhunt ensues he wanders up to a TV reporter and turns himself in.

The first story linked here is from the TV station and has some video. The second is from the Jackson Clarion-Ledger and has more details.

http://www.wlbt.com/story/16568651/suspect-surrenders-to-wlbt-anchor

http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20120121/NEWS/201210342/Wanted-man-ends-standoff-by-strolling-up-newsman

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

The reporter, Bert Case, earned fame when former Mississippi governor Kirk Fordice threatened to kick his ass on the governor's mansion lawn.

He was also almost eaten alive by a dog while working on a story. Bert had a helluva career.

3. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Bert did something else pretty big, too.
    I'm trying to remember what it was or the particular story he was involved in.
    I will post if I think of it.
    He indeed has had a long career in Mississippi.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

He tied himself to a tree (or attempted to) during Hurricane Camille. I think that was one of the things that made his name early in his career.

5. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Maybe it was crossover reporting when Marcus Dupree was being recruited, but that doesn't seem right.

He began his career during an interesting and historic time for the Deep South.
    I'd be interested to hear how or what he did as a young reporter with Civil Rights stories/issues of the day.

Draft saved Draft deleted