1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Iraqi Orphanage found in deplorable condition

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Brooklyn Bridge, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

The 82nd Airborne finds special needs children, bound and naked on the floor of an orphanage. The Director is found in a cushy, air-conditioned office. Why should we continue to sacrifice American troops for an ineffective, or corrupt government. Sometimes my best work is done on deadline. Maybe we should set that withdrawl date and FORCE the government to get its s**t in gear.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/06/18/eveningnews/main2946007.shtml

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

End well this will not. In more ways than one.

3. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

One of my brother's soldiers (in the 3rd ACR) adopted an Iraqi orphan after the boy came to their "base" -- it was a bunch of tents and wire near the Syrian border -- and said he had information about a bad man the Americans wanted. The boy came day after day after day, and finally, after making sure he wasn't wearing a bomb or holding a pin that would make one go off, they invited him in, heard his story (the wanted man was the boy's dad, who had killed his mom and sis), followed the boy to his village, and sure enough it all was true. I believe they caught the father/insurgent/whatever you want to call him. The Iraqi boy, now about 10, is in the Colorado school systems, and assimilating fairly well according to my bro.
    Their story was on Oprah a few months ago. Seriously

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

See, this is the stuff that pisses me off.

These insurgents using kids as human shields. It's not new. I bet if we plowed into Kandahar province and looked in every nook and cranny, we'd see the same thing.

Of course, a-holes aren't limited to Iraq. And I bet war makes normally generous people do selfish things. Nonetheless, some of this crap is hideous.

Draft saved Draft deleted