1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Iraq projected $80 billion oil surplus

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Diabeetus, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Good thing the U.S. has helped fund reconstruction.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/08/05/iraq.oil/index.html

2. markvid

markvid Guest

Can the US demand any of that back?

3. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

Too bad they haven't decided how to share the revenue. Wonder if the Kurds will agree to an equal split with the Shia and Sunnis (yes W there are 3 types of Arabs in Iraq)?

Will Iraq use their money to pay off the terrorists now on our payroll to stop shooting U.S. soldiers? I thought I remember W saying he wouldn't negotiate with terrorists but the SURGE's effectiveness is based greatly on paying the bad guys to be on our side.

When will Iraq again pump oil equal to its preinvasion production? Maybe, that's one reason oil has skyrocketed - less supply and a war zone amid the world's 3rd leading oil deposit.

4. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

I'm split on this one. We bombed their country. It's sort of our mess. Once the mess is cleaned up, they can use that money to build a strong infrastructure. I'm not entirely sure what our money is paying for these days. Are we just rebuilding what we broke or are we building state-of-the-art soccer stadiums?

5. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Unfortunately, much of what is rebuilt just becomes a big bullseye for future attacks.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

It's not fair!

Iraq needs a salary cap!

7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I've heard some people suggest we take their oil as payment for us liberating them from Sadam.

8. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

I think they should build a Dollar Store on every corner. I think the Iraqi people would appreciate that.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The crazy thing is that this is happening for a very specific and corrupt reason that has nothing to do with the Iraqis. Iraq has been a boon to many of our elected officials, including those occupying the White House, and the beneficiaries are companies getting government projects -- who also happen to be large contributors that helped get those politicians elected. In some cases, there are outright conflicts of interest, with the politicos having had substantial investments in the companies that got contracts -- in many cases, without competitive bidding. So we go in, make a mess of the country and then hire good, old American ingenuity to help fix the infrastructure: Rebuild the water system, provide security, resurrect the oil drilling. And the money that pays them comes from U.S. taxpayers, courtesy of their politician friends. If we insist the Iraqis pay for things themselves, they also have the right to dictate autonomy and KBR is not getting those contracts. That is why there is no will to change this, and it is not really the Iraqis taking advantage of us (although they are happy to let us spend the money instead of them), but rather our elected officials jobbing us.

10. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

The usual suspects, I'm guessing?

11. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

We built the world's biggest embassy and W won't pledge that our military bases are not permanent.

I think W saw Iraq as a strategic political move not a war for oil but while it gained minimal gains in 2004 - it is an anchor around the GOP and our treasury. How can we own a country with the 3rd largest oil deposit and not get a sweetheart deal on oil?

What? Exxon and Co. are working on those deals? Surely, they'll give the good Ole US of A a discount for the blood and $$$ spilled in the desert.

12. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

Draft saved Draft deleted