1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Iraq Policy Report ..

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by healingman, Dec 6, 2006.

1. healingman

healingman Guest

Today, SportsJournalists.com family and friends, the Iraq Policy Report was released and given to President Bush. Its findings: There's a mess in Iraq and the policy isn't working. More diplomacy needed. Pull troops out by 2008.

"Wait until the war is over ... and we're both a little older ... the Unknown Soldier ..."

So ... let the comments begin ...

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Link: http://media.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/nation/documents/ISG_execsummary_120606.pdf

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I hate to say this, but who knew James Baker and Lee Hamilton worked for the Department of Duh.

4. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I like how they used huge margins to stretch it to nine pages. They would thrive in grad school.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Fairly underwhelming, all told.

6. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

NO SPOILERS!!!

7. Nice catch, FDP. Exactly my old technique!
    Meanwhile, Daddy's lawyer slaps around Junior for being pretty much the dolt the world has known he is for about three years. Junior will not change a thing. More people will die for no purpose.

8. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

What exactly did everyone expect?

One of the weirdest stories of the last few weeks was the rapt attention paid to every leak and murmur from the ISG. I thought people didn't like Beltway insiders? Why's this bunch -- or, for that matter, the inexplicably beloved 9/11 commission -- so different?

James Baker? Vernon Jordan? Sandra Day O'Connor? Zbigniew Brzezenski? (No chance I got that right.) Seriously?

Glad we're getting a fresh perspective.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

M_W --

You make a good point.

But, in the parlance of the Wire, I did expect this to give Bush the out. I don't see him liking this report, or even implementing all of it (at least what I've read). And I don't see any way it can help him politically, either.

It does make the case for turning over sovreignty very quickly, which I agreed with.

10. M_W -
    I don't see a snigle post from anyone here suggesting that anyone had any great hope for this wax museum or its report. Neither is there any chance the The Decider will do anything more than continue to take his policy over the cliff.

11. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

I can't imagine Bush -- who is, right now, the lamest of lame ducks -- getting much in the way of political help between now and 2008.

Foreign policy is about the only way for a lame-duck president to make an impact in the final years. If Bush ignores the report, or at least doesn't race to implement the recommendations his team disagrees with, what exactly is going to happen?

Will the Democrats really fall into the Rovian trap of cutting funding to troops in the field? No. Fucking. Way. Bush gets to stay the course, politicians on both sides get to campaign against him for the next two years, and the next president gets stuck with the mess.

The ISG will be less than a footnote in the history of this war.

And Fenian, the tendency in the last few weeks to regard the ISG as a group of "wise men" has been pronounced. Perhaps not on this thread, but certainly elsewhere, on and off the board.

12. Hey, if you're going to lump me in with Broder and the rest of those clowns, I may just get very uncivil here. Whatever you may think of Beltway wisdom, and I guarantee I think less of it than you do, this is the entire establishment rising up and giving Fredo a sock in the snoot. Who's left? He and the face-shooter? And don't be too sure that defunding the war will remain politically untenable. A few months of hearings into, say, war-profiteering and ginned-up intel, and there might be more than a few Republicans running for the lifeboats.
    Stay the course is done. We're out of there sometime in the next couple of years whether Fredo wants us to be or not. The only questions are when and how bloody. There are, after all, Iraqis with guns who have some say in what our policy will be.

Draft saved Draft deleted