1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Iraq correspondent: "I am not the same #$?!ing person"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PeteyPirate, Dec 11, 2008.

1. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

To be fair, though, he was getting it on with CBS's Lara Logan for a while.

http://www.mensjournal.com/cnns-prisoner-of-war

2. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

And my subscription to Men's Journal begins today.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oh I'm sure the hick brigade couch soldiers figure this guy, too, is unfairly portraying the war.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

The next major war movie should do its viewers a service and present this, at the end of the film, unedited and in complete surround. Let the Gov come after them. And let the Supreme Court uphold the distribution companies' rights to show it.

Honestly, if were a studio exec, I would do this. To be completely cynical, I would do it and hope to the government tries to stop it. The buzz created would be great for business. Whatever film it showed with would break box office records in the same way "The Passion of the Christ" did.

From a personal standpoint, I think it's important for the American public to understand what's going on over there beyond the occasional "embedded" (in bed with) report.

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

My mother recently saw Bob Woodruff speak and said it was the most powerful, affecting story she's heard in years.

6. NDub

NDub Guest

Like all of you, I've followed the war, and I must say Michael Ware is BY FAR the best reporter over there. I do a lot of news watching and glancing and every time he's on I stop because his insight, his reporting, is just fucking awesome.

I do feel bad for the man, though. And I don't envy him. War changes people. We all know that. Ware has been over there for longer than many of the soldiers and look how fucked up some of them are when they come back. Now I know a reporter and soldier experience a lot of different stuff, but Ware has been in thick of things - at least his reports portray it that way - than any other reporter we've got. He's tremendous.

7. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

From the story

8. NDub

NDub Guest

Great, great quote from Sgt. Bellavia. That is some powerful shit right there.

If Michael Ware every makes a documentary or writes a book, I'm all over it.

9. NDub

NDub Guest

From Wikipedia:

In late 2009, publisher Hachette Australia will publish Between Me and The Dead, Ware's first book about the Iraq war.

10. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I predict you will be all over it.

11. The final anecdote is chilling.

Draft saved Draft deleted