1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Iraq bound?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jones, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Jones

Jones Active Member

I had a long conversation with my wife about this last night. I'm leaning toward going. She is not happy with me.

To answer Peyton's question, it's a one-off feature story, a story that hasn't been done. I don't want to overstate it, but I feel like it would be one of the stories of my career. I would have to be in Iraq for about a week.

My wife is less interested in my career and more interested in having me home, alive.

That being said, I did some research, and in 2006, only two embedded, non-Iraqi reporters were killed there. (Please don't take "only" badly; I was just surprised at that number.) The Iraqi journalists, however, are getting to killed to shit. It's by far the most deadly conflict for writers and photographers in history. I'd encouage each of you to look at those numbers. They are frightening in every sense.

More PMs have come, and thank you again for them. I've been jammed up this week, but I'll figure everything out and return the kindness soon.

This is probably the toughest decision I've had to make, workwise.

Also, I've received several PMs from folks on here, regular posters, who have gone to Iraq. I can only tip my hat to them. It's some kind of wrestle.

2. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

If this is truely a once in a lifetime opportunity, then go for it. Sure, it'd be a bit nerve racking. Truth is it's more stressful and firghtening for those you leave back home.
    I don't know the details of how to go (embedding, etc...), but I do know several soliders who have served multiple stints there. They kind of liken the safety issue there to living in tornado country...you know at anytime you can suffer a direct hit (bombing or capture), but the odds are much better you won't. Yes our military die everyday over there, and civilians/journalist are sometimes captured, but it's a lot safer than it's portrayed by all the death counts.

That being said, I probably wouldn't have the guts to go. Good luck to you Jones.

3. Hed bust

Hed bust Guest

Who could know if they were going to regret something in 20-30 years?
    If you don't have a damn good reason for going over there, don't do it.
    Iraq is not a place to be right now except the highly trained, gun-toting, militaristic people.
    And civilian contractors who go over there are (95 percent of them) there for one purpose only.
    To make good money.

4. captzulu

captzulu Member

Well, if you die over there, then it truly would be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. They would have to drag me on the plane to Iraq kicking and screaming. But to each his own. Good luck and be safe.

5. joe

joe Active Member

Is there Dairy Queen in Iraq?

6. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Jones, you are a braver man than I. But if there is a writer who I trust could tell a helluva story from Iraq, it's you. Godspeed.

7. patchs

patchs Active Member

No Tim's in Iraq, Jonesy.
    Although I hear there's one in Afghanistan.

8. A great story by an independent journalist who just landed in Baghdad:

http://www.michaeltotten.com/archives/001496.html

9. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Canadian troops had a hand in the Tim's in Afghanistan. CTV did a story that aired on it and I believe some troops are actually manning the coffee shop there. Something to boost our troops morale, which they need these days with all the casualities.

10. Hed bust

Hed bust Guest

That's a great account of what he did when he first went to Iraq.
    It makes it seem sort of not as dangerous as it's said to be. Interesting, tantalizing material.
    It's a crazy war, for sure. The deaths of troops (about 3,800) are nothing at this point compared to Vietnam.
    And more people in America support the war than the Big Media lets on.
    These opinion polls and public approval are creations and spin material of Big Media, to some degree.
    But I wouldn't want to be there at the moment. To each his own.

11. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Hed-

Since this is a thread about whether or not a friend of ours should go to Baghdad, I'll make the gentle suggestion to please keep your political opinions on the other boards. The dead in this war are just as dead as the dead in any other. Including nearly 200 journalists.

[​IMG]

12. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

No more politics on this thread, thanks.

Want to start up a discussion on "Big Media" or GE, go to aother thread. This one is solely about Chris' decision.

Draft saved Draft deleted