1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Iraq bound?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jones, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Yeah... unless you get killed. Not trying to be a dick, but that just seemed like an odd thing to say, I guess it might be worth it in the long run, but I don't know if it's necessarily worth the risk.

Personally I wouldn't go. Call me a wuss, I don't really care. And not saying others shouldn't... if you want to, go for it and I'm sure you'll get some unbelievable stuff. Just not for me.

2. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Be safe, man. And please give us all a heads-up when the resulting story appears.

And no, I have no helpful advice.

3. Jones

Jones Active Member

Thanks everybody for the help on the thread, the good wishes, and for what I can only describe as an overwhelming PM response. It's going to take me a while to go through them all, but they are much appreciated and I'll respond to each of them. Please know that.

I think the first thing I have to do is decide whether, bottom line, I'm willing to go. I think I am, but I've been going through lots of self-doubt about it, on and off. Five years ago, I would have gone pretty easily, I think. Now, as a newish husband and as a father, I have more fear about it. I read stories about journalists killed over there, and I can't imagine my wife reading a story like that about me. But I imagine every journalist who goes there has those moments, and yet they've all gone over. I hope I can find the same bravery in me.

Anyway, thanks very much, guys, for everything. We'll see where this goes.

4. markvid

markvid Guest

If you aren't 100% sure, it's the right thing, don't.

5. Peytons place

Peytons place Member

I would be interested in knowing what you would want to over there? What story you are interested in tealling that hasn't already been told? It obviously would be an amazing experience, I'm sure, but I think you would need to know what you wanted to acoomplish there and what you wanted to do, particularly before you embed with a particular company.

6. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

You have a chance to do an amazing thing and detail a horrible occurrence. This could be a story where you look back on and say this is what defined your career. On the other hand, this could be the last story of your storied career. If you weigh the risks and decide it is something that you want to do, go for it. You have to follow your heart in this situation. You'll see some horrible things over there, so keep your head up, but also keep it down.

7. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I would go, in a second.

But I'm single.

I would say this: If it's something you would regret not doing in 20, 30 years -- go. Good luck, Chris. Be safe.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Good luck and God bless. And phooey on Yawn. He is a tool.

9. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Good luck. Be careful out there.

10. I have an idea for an Iraq/CFL hybrid reality show: have Pinball Clemons parachute onto forward operating bases to attempt to lift the sagging morale of American troops with heart-warming speeches. And then film it.

11. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

I just spit up my bottled water reading this...if anyone can boost morale, it's Pinball.

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Oh, REALLLLLLY? ;) ;) ;) :D

Draft saved Draft deleted