1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Iraq bound?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jones, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Jones

Jones Active Member

I was wondering whether anyone here has reported from Iraq or knows someone who has reported from Iraq and has any advice... I'm thinking of going for a story -- for a few days at the outside -- but I really don't have any idea how these things work, which probably means I'll get myself killed, which I'd like to avoid.

I believe my employers will help with training and provide me with the "How to Embed for Dummies" text, but I was wondering if anyone here really knows what it's like to work over there.

Thanks in advance, except to Yawn.

Yawn, you can go fuck yourself in the Amman.

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

You should have gotten your colonoscopy in Baghdad. That would have been a takeout story for the ages.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Takeout ... I get it.

Nice.

4. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I would recommend Michael Yon's dispatches to get a feel for what it is like over there.

5. John

John Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Best book I've read in a long time.

6. donaugust

donaugust Member

Jones: Best of luck to you. Be safe.

7. markvid

markvid Guest

Jones, do you have to get some sort of permission from the military first?

8. I'm not Jones, but yes, yes you do - if you want to be embedded, which is the only way to report from Iraq these days if you're not an Iraqi.

9. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

"Over There -- From the Bronx to Baghdad" by NY Times reporter Alan Feuer was especially good. I don't believe he was embedded, making his account even more riveting.

10. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Jones, I know someone from ABC News that has gone to Iraq a few times to cover news, especially during the war. He always says the experience is great for a journalist and that he was especially grateful for going early in his career (he went there in his twenties). His role was to report on soldiers and their families but he learned a lot about the conflict itself. He did fear for his safety, but knew that it was all part of the job and opportunity overrided fear.

He would go there again at any time and the news network did prepare him for the trip and what to expect and some things he could do to protect himself.

Jones, this is an opportunity that I would honestly consider doing. If I were you, you should go and take the risk because it will be worth it in the long run.

11. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Agreed, damn fine reporting and writing.

12. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Jones,
    This is actually great advice. Give Alan a call. I think he's on leave right now working on a book.
    Kim Murphy, L.A. Times is another one. I think she's back in Moscow now. But, their wisdom would eclipes anything any of us could offer. Kim is good people.

Draft saved Draft deleted